Perth - Lake King - Esperance


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Esperance
March 22nd 2010
Published: March 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

HydenHydenHyden

These were just part of some metal sculptures in the town.
We managed to get away at about 0900 with the day's destination being Wave Rock, just out of Hyden. We travelled along the Brookton Highway, had a quick look around Brookton where we had lunch, reaching Hyden and Wave Rock at about 1500 hrs.
It was warm and muggy there, but we were lucky to have a break in the clouds when we took photos of the Rock. Because it was still early, and the camp area there didn't look that inviting, we continued on our way stopping at Lake King caravan park at about 1700 hours. This park is run by the local shire, you sign yourself in, place the $20 in the box and find somewhere to park. There were only 3 other vans there and the facilities were spotless with a good supply of hot water.
Next morning we went for a walk around the area. The school and recreation grounds are about a kilometre out of town, all neatly laid out with the only shop/garage/PO over the road. We followed a couple of the trails passing through the bush and around the wheat silos before returning to the van. We walked solidly for over an hour so
Wave RockWave RockWave Rock

Quite a magnificent sight
that will help make up for the hours we spend sitting in the car.

Esperance was reached just before lunch, Ian & Jen were waiting for us, having reserved a camp spot next to them. After setting up we toured around the town, went out to Pink Lake which wasn't pink at the moment although Rags assured Judy it was when he first saw saw it about 30 years ago! Apparently it depends on the growth of a bacteria in the water which is similar to carrotene.
The west coast consists of high cliffs leading down to white beaches and very blue water, unfortunately the day was very overcast abd misty so they, and the islands on the horizon weren't clearly visible.

A shared dinner with Ian & Jen with some lubrication made for an enjoyable end to the day.

Sunday, 21st March 2010

We had a lazy sort of a day, starting with a walk along the beachfront where we saw the resident sealion near the long fuel jetty. A little cleaning and reading followed until lunchtime after which Ian took us all for a drive along the coast to the Cape le Grande National
Wave Rock againWave Rock againWave Rock again

Just to show how different cameras see the view differently. This Judy's 450D
Park. The weather was against us in that it rained and there was a lot of low cloud reducing the visibility.

Monday, 22nd March 2010

After our walk (something we intend having regularly) the day unfolded in a similar vein to yesterday, nobody seeming too keen to do anything overstrenuous. We did go for a walk through the Pioneer Village in town, original buildings now selling mainly art pieces. As it was a Monday most of these were closed. At one we bought Rags a new pair of Ugg boots, a delayed Christmas present from his Mum. By the time we get to Victoria they may be appreciated.
Judy had mentioned the Kepwari Trails which are some nature trails through the Lake Warden Wetlands so later in the afternoon we set off to these. Pleasant enough walk through tracks with signs pointing out the degradation Man has caused in the area, as well as seeing several different species of birds. It ended up being quite a walk before we returned to where the car was parked.

Dinner was roast chicken and veges thanks to Jen, we supplied icecream and stewed nectarines. A very tasty meal followed by
Lake KingLake KingLake King

The track we walked along went through an old dump. Here a Chrysler Royal of the late 1950s.
Ian's decaf/soya/cappucino which, as bad as it sounds wasn't too bad at all.

That evening we heard that a storm had hit Perth early in the evening. Ian & Jen's house in South Perth had been hit hard, with hailstones breaking windows, damaging the garage door and destroying the garden. They took it very philosophically, there being nothing they could do about it from here, leaving it in their children's hands until they get home on Wednesday or Thursday.
We rang Carol, our neighbour, and apparently there hadn't been any damage there, but Mal was at that moment checking our place. Good to have friends!
The kids were all contacted and we heard that the girls' houses both escaped major damage but that both of our son's cars had been damaged.

Tuesday, 23rd March 2010

First a walk along the beach, then we took the kayak out for a paddle along the beach. This fitness thing is really catching on. Was very pleasant however, although the breeze did pick up a bit towards the end. We have vowed to use the kayak as often as possible, the risk being that otherwise we'll cross Australia and it will
EsperanceEsperanceEsperance

One of the west coast beaches. Pity about the visibility.
never leave the roof of the car
The rest of the morning was spent either reading or both of us working on our laptops. Emails have been read and answered, this blog updated, and Judy has put in time on her online Uni tutoring.

Tonight, we have been invited to dinner by Margaret Churchland, a member of ECAWA with whom we worked at conferences and who is now the Principal at Cascades Primary School. We will both be working at the school this Thursday, doing our Weggs Learning with ICT Support thing. Great way of getting to know different communities as well as keeping the Jeep full of fuel.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Esperance Tanker JettyEsperance Tanker Jetty
Esperance Tanker Jetty

No longer used but maintained by JC's as a tourist spot.
Whistling RockWhistling Rock
Whistling Rock

This rock in the Cape le Grand Nat Pk, makes a whistling sound in certain breezes.
Esperance Historic VillageEsperance Historic Village
Esperance Historic Village

A display in one of the shops.
Banksia FlowerBanksia Flower
Banksia Flower

There were many banksias in the Kepwari Wetland but only a few of the flowers were still alive. Would be a beautiful sight in season.
EsperanceEsperance
Esperance

One of the bridge walks in the wetlands


23rd March 2010

Whistling Sound
Hey Rags, when are you going to fess up. That whistling sound always seems to occur when you have had a good curry or simailar the night before. No thunderstorm likely tonight - well at this stage anyway. Upstairs got pretty wet but I think the floor will be ok. The hail at home was ice cube size and ranging up to golf ball size. Bigger in some areas. Rags are you anticipting strong winds tonight ?
25th March 2010

Pink Lakes
The Lakes were very pink when I saw them a few years ago, you were just unlucky Jude. Cold here in Vancouver, but we are going out for Dinner tonight in the city with a group of Jackie and Graham's. I will have to wear plenty underneath my top clothes to keep warm !! Dave and Pam checked my place at home but the storm did no damage there. Robert is ok too. Pam said he was crying because he "Misses his Mummy ". Love Ya, Mum
26th March 2010

Pink Lakes
We'll just have to come back won't we? A place we may spend more time at next year.
26th March 2010

Whistling Sound
Glad damage not too bad. As for wind, you can talk. And no, we're not anticipating strong winds here tonight and curry is off the menu.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb