Day 42 - Purnululu NP (north) and back to Warmun


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

There was still a lot to see in the northern end of Purnululu NP so we weren't going to worry about a slight engine noise.

Unfortunately, the wet season had damaged a walk called Mini Palms so we headed off to the Homestead walk instead. This was a pleasant walk (but no sign of any homestead). It was getting quite hot though and now we had no aircon. We continued on to the end of the track where there is another lookout and the main feature of the north, Echidna Chasm. This feature has been created by water seeping in from the top of the escarpment and carving a deep (but narrow) tunnel through the rocks. At some points, it is just wide enough to walk through. We arrived just before midday to maximise the photographic opportunities within Echidna Chasm.

We had lunch at the picnic grounds and then headed back to to the visitor centre to see if we could contact our mechanic, Darryl, back in Kununurra. The public phone box was out of order but the parks lady was kind enough to let us use her phone and we explained our predicament to Darryl.

The next
Homestead walkHomestead walkHomestead walk

The palms are growing on the side of cliffs!
step was to get back to Kununurra (again) so that Darryl could assess the damage and make repairs. Would we make it back to the highway?

We pushed hard and made it back to the highway in an hour and a half and then drove to Warmun (previously known as Turkey Creek) Roadhouse where we camped for the night. It was hard to get to sleep though as many fruit bats were flying around and upsetting the birds that were roosted in the trees thereby setting off a chain reaction of noisy squawking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

View from Echidna lookoutView from Echidna lookout
View from Echidna lookout

The Osmond ranges on the right at rear
Echidna ChasmEchidna Chasm
Echidna Chasm

The end - water comes in from above
Echidna ChasmEchidna Chasm
Echidna Chasm

The end - water comes in from above
Echidna ChasmEchidna Chasm
Echidna Chasm

On the way out - it is very narrow!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb