On The Move Again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
January 23rd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tram Cafe - PembertonTram Cafe - PembertonTram Cafe - Pemberton

Nice little cafe at a Pemberton vineyard
23th Jan 2011
We’re now in Albany having stopped off in Pemberton, SE of Margaret River, in the heart of the Karri forest zone. It is a quaint little “Timber Town” which apparently manufactured and supplied the sleepers for the trans Australian rail line as well as for the first stage of the London Underground and many of other lines in the UK.
We took a drive to D’Enrecasteaux National Park and strolled along a walkway on the top the cliffs. The views were breathtaking.

We also paid a visit to the “Timber Town” of Manjimup and caught up with some friends, Neil and Linda, who we had met back at Banka Banka Station, very early in our travels. We spent the whole afternoon in a coffee shop, talking about our experiences on the road. We were finally asked to leave at 4.00pm so that the shop could close. We continued chatting in the park until 6.00pm. It was great to see them again and hopefully we can get together again very soon.

Dinner on our last night was spent in the Pemberton Hotel. It still retains its early 1900’s charm and has a great atmosphere. Even sells Guinness
Anyone for golf?Anyone for golf?Anyone for golf?

Sand green? Pemberton Golf Course.
on tap?

Following Pemberton, we set up camp in the town of Walpole, 120km SE of Pemberton, in the Coalmine Beach Park. We stayed there for five nights in what was a very small site for the van. Rose has become very good at reversing it into sites, with my guidance. We make a good team and many people have commented on her skills. She puts a lot of guys to shame.

Walpole is famed for the nearby “Valley Of The Giants” and its Treetop Walk. Rose and I braved the wobbly walk, some 40m above ground level. The forest there consists mainly of giant Tingle and Karri Trees. The trees are aged up to 500 years! Another day was spent visiting Denmark and its surrounding bays with some lovely coastal scenery.

The trip to Albany was very interesting, travelling through forests and seeing the change in landscape as we approached what was originally the capital of WA. Albany was renowned for its’ Whaling many years ago. It’s ironic that it now relies on tourists, who come to watch the whales pass by along the rugged coastline? We took a drive along the scenic road to the
Crickey!Crickey!Crickey!

De Entrecasteaux National Park - Clifftop
west of the town yesterday and saw some breathtaking views from massive granite formations rolling down to the ocean. An area call Salmon Holes, with a white beach and rolling turquoise waves, took us by surprise.

We had a wonderful dinner last night, courtesy of Pete and Laura (Xmas gift), at the Wild Duck Restaurant. We had five courses with a glass of different wines to complement each course. Needless to say, we were glad to get back to the van afterwards and release the pressure from our waists!!! We both slept like logs and used today as a lay day.

We have the car and van booked in for services this week, so we will be here until at least Friday.
Watch this space?? J & R



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Walpole CampsiteWalpole Campsite
Walpole Campsite

How tight is this spot. We had difficulty getting out, let alone in?
Treetop WalkTreetop Walk
Treetop Walk

Made it?
Wild Duck DinnerWild Duck Dinner
Wild Duck Dinner

"Can't wait to loosen my belt"
Egg On ToastEgg On Toast
Egg On Toast

One of the dishes from Wild Duck Restaurant. It's actually mango, meringue, on custard cream and toasted brioche?? Clever stuff.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb