Edit Blog Post
Published: June 29th 2017
Geo: -38.0592, 145.409
Well, it's a month today since we finished our honeymoon around South America. A perfect opportunity for us to reflect on what an awesome and memorable experience it's been. I asked Natalie to consider what her top 10 memories were. In her own words, here they are as a countdown from 10 to 1.
10. Parque de Aves (Bird Park) Iguazu Even if the rain was pouring, and I had wet boots for days after, this park was amazing. The birds were still happy to greet us, and walking through the aviaries is an experience in itself.
9. SkyTower Auckland Just because the majority of our trip was in South America doesn't mean I love Auckland any less. The waterfront and skytower and definitely worth a visit. Must visit the skytower at night for the most amazing views.
8. Favela Rochina, RioMeeting the locals, walking through the houses, it is always interesting to see how others live. The views these houses had of RIO would be worth millions but because of the style of housing it would be worth nothing.
7. City of Valparaiso From first sight upon the Cruise ship, this city just looked
like another slum. When Kris and I had the chance to explore the city, we were shocked how spectacular and hilly it is. It is definitely a requirement to walk uphill and just get lost in the tunnel of laneways. The colourful buildings, unusual layering of house upon house is something we don't get to see that often. Also one of my favourites for the food. We had a meal which I would count as the BEST ravioli I have ever tasted with a view looking out over Pacific Ocean, and this was just an average cafe /restaurant. Wish we could stay there again. 6. El Yeso National Park Although I have never traveled to Canada or Alaska, I would imagine that this is as close to Canada vegetation. Stunning forest on the waters edge, Kris and I wished we had had had the chance to hike and camp despite how cold it was.
5. Sailing around Cape Horn My thoughts about Cape Horn, are completely changed due to absolutely perfect weather. A large swell yes, but not the waves or choppiness I was imagining. Thankfully I will hold the few minutes of video footage I have as
a reminder I wasn't dreaming that the weather was perfect. Such an isolated location, I will forever have the lighthouse and the farm house ingrained in my memory. 4. Copacabana Beach, Rio We had a spectacular hotel on the beachfront, and it was worth every cent. Truly beautiful beach and location, and felt totally safe. Was nice to swim in the surf, after so few summers spent on our own beaches in recent years.
3. Sugarloaf Mountain, RioWhat a spectacular view of Rio. Even if part of the mountain was closed due Olympics restorations. I wish Id known how many things there were to do up here, as we just didn't get the time to explore 😞
2. Machu Picchu Ruins are not something that I get excited about. But this was amazing. The mountains surrounding Machu Picchu were probably the largest mountains I have ever seen, and was totally unexpected. I was also not expecting to need a full day to explore. Seeing these ruins up close, make it no easier to understand how they possibly built this.
1. Iguazu Falls So much water EVERYWHERE!! Anyone that knows me, knows how much I
love water, waterfalls and anything nature. And this was it! Even the weather didn't ruin the experience. 2 days of exploring. Both Brazil and Argentina had their advantages and I had favorite view locations from both sides of the border, but Argentina has to come out on top with the better views and experiences.
Tot: 1.926s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0075s; 1; m:saturn w:www (184.108.40.206); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.4mb