Cowes, Phillip Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
December 18th 2006
Published: December 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dear all,

We have just arrived in Cowes, on Phillip Island in South Victoria. We are here to see the world famous little penguins and some koalas in their natural habitat.

Last night we stayed in Lakes Entrance, it was really lovely, with a huge beach and really nice town centre. More our kind of thing than a few of the places we have stayed recently.
We had an afternoon on the beach and shock horror, I put my bikini on and laid out in the sun!
The rays didn't really touch me though with my factor 30 on. Better safe than sorry though eh?!

We went for dinner in what looked like it was going to be a really good mexican restaurant. We had the worst fajates (can't remember how to spell!) ever... To compensate we had a bottle of wine, so that meant that being the lightweight that I am I was drunk. I remember running away from scary maniquins in shop windows! Oops!

Before Lakes, we were in a place called Eden, it was really small and quiet, all we did was go for a walk along the beach and in to the town centre which consisted of a small cluster of shops. We encountered some strange locals and ran back to the campsite!

Kiama, I had high hopes for... it said in the Australia book that its where loads of sydneysiders go for the weekend, I was expecting beautiful long stretch of sand, the sun shining, and loads of shops to look in. Instead we had rain, beach which was beautiful but looked like Weymouth Bay! Even the sand was the same colour! Now i'm not complaining! I'm really not... it just wasn't much compared to the gold coast. There are two blowholes at Kiama, a small one and a huge one and thats it about it!

Before Kiama, we had planned to have 2 days in the Blue Mountains, we were staying at Penrith, we did a tourist drive on the first afternoon - which involved a dirt track - no-one tell apollo! We had planned to drive to Katoomba the next day, and then work our way back to Glenbrook. We managed to get past a place called Lawson, and we started hearing funny noises somewhere in the engine... Luckily we were near a phone box and a mechanics, so we stopped and Phil went to phone the roadside assistance to ask for some advice, we then went to ask the mechanic who diagnosed a broken fan belt. So much for our tour of the mountains! 3 1/2 hours and another mechanic in the middle of nowhere later, we were fixed and back on our way. Without the friendlyness and xmas spirit of the mechanics, we wouldn't have been going anywhere!

We managed to complete a whistle stop tour of most of the things that we most wanted to see. We saw the 3 sisters, and Wentworth falls, it was really beautiful but boiling hot.

Cessnock - the Hunter Wine Valley, we went for a drive around the wineries and had a sneeky peak inside a few. It was like being in France. I didn't taste any because I didn't want to be unfair to Phil.

I have managed to get (at the latest count) 10 ozzie mozzie bites. They are mega itchy! Phil is untouched!

Can't add pictures yet - will try when we get to Melbourne in a couple of days.

We don't want to give up the camper! I don't think that we have had long enough to do what we planned and we have felt a bit rushed - apart from that its been really cool (apart from the breaking down bit - we where pooing ourselves!)

And as for the cricket tickets - the less said the better! Looks like Australia will already have won the ashes. They only need one more wicket - every Australian we encounter chuckles smuggly to themselves when they realise that we are Poms!

Will write before Xmas.

Tc Lu and P XXX

























Advertisement



18th December 2006

Hello
Hey Guys sound like you both are having a great time. That was so sweet what you did for Jack's first birthday. Seems like you've been to some lovely places, quite jealous. Works slowing down now. Hope you guys have a great christmas and a very happy new year 12 hours before us. Love Vikki
18th December 2006

Happy Christmas
Glad you guys are having fun. Hope you have a great Christmas. Just a tip about mozzies- they like sweet smells so if you have fruity shampoo and soap you are more likely to get bitten- just don't scratch, will leave nasty scars!
18th December 2006

Strictly come dancing
Well you have been having some adventures! We can tell you've been really busy having a good time by the spelling mistakes! Hope you're giving the Aussie mozzie bites some treatment. The two sportsmen are the finalists in Strictly Come Dancing and Leoni won the X Factor. Lots of love Mum, Dad and Craig xxx
19th December 2006

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to me for the 17th!
Hi you two! Glad to hear you're finally enjoying something! Here's a 'Fun Fact' to make you appreciate where you are: in Swindon it is cold, dark and foggy, everyone at work is ill, and i have an hour long wait for the bus home to look forward to! Rock on! Oh, by the way, The D were EXCELLENT! Got me some Muse tickets for June next year too! Tee hee! Also, my sister Dionne is 7 weeks pregnant! (that's not a bad thing, by the way!). Enjoy your last few weeks in paradise. I suggest you spend it in 'Smug Mode', thinking about the rest of us slowly succumbing to flu-type viruses, in the dark, driven only by the incessant need to 'work'. Yay.
21st December 2006

Thanks for all your comments
Hello all, Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who is leaving us comments! We really appreciate it, especially because its getting closer to xmas and we are missing the build up! Lu and Pip x

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb