Portland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Portland
April 19th 2018
Published: April 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

From Warrnambool we travelled to Port Fairy a small, but lovely fishing village. We stopped and enjoyed the boats in the harbour including the Squid boats. We started looking for campsites and looked one up called Sawtell Reserve. So headed in that direction not knowing if it was going to be available or not. It got too late. So we stopped at a wayside stop for the night. I organized a time to meet up with a bloke in Portland to show us the Gannets. Next morning we met and told us there was a great spot for camping at Sawtell reserve. Thanks mate. Brian took us out to Point Danger Gannet Colony and even let us get within 20 ft of them. He had plenty of great information on the Gannets and the surrounding area. And he is only a volunteer custodian for the Gannets. Apparently some of the other guides on the committee aren't as forthcoming. The Information Centre at Portland organises the tours. And he is usually the one they call to take people out. The small Island you see in a few of the Photos is called Lawerence Rocks. We were lucky with the weather as it rained right up to we got there and started again as we were leaving.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

GannetsGannets
Gannets

The red tag is an old monitoring tag not yet removed


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb