Homeward Bound


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 25th 2010
Published: November 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last BreakfastLast BreakfastLast Breakfast

Mike and Paul having one more conversation.
Ah, the time has come to bid adieu to our Aussie friends and head back to reality (work!). It is a cloudy, rainy day in Melbourne, but still warm and muggy. Looks like a good sign that it's time to leave. Flew from Melbourne to Sydney, then on United from Sydney to L.A. Mike was relieved that Maureen was able to be ugraded to Business Class for this flight, as it saved him from having to do the noble thing and volunteer to trade seats! The better food, unending drinks, comfortable seat/bed, continuous attention from the flight attendants, individual movie screen and selection of viewing material...all contributed to a much more enjoyable and relaxing flight. We just didn't understand why United didn't serve turkey on Thanksgiving Day.

We arrived in L.A. at 9:30, then stood in lines for immigration, baggage and customs. The shuttle bus to the hotel where we parked took its sweet time getting to the airport, so it was about 11:15 when we got to the parking garage. It was obvious to us then that our adventures were not yet over. First, we couldn't find where we had recorded the location of the car in the garage.
Dining RoomDining RoomDining Room

The old brick ovens from when the building housed a bakery add warmth and charm to the breakfast room.
We searched a couple of levels before finally locating the Prius on level 5. But the key fob wouldn't unlock the doors and we had to use the manual key--no problem except the key fob wouldn't start the car, either. Well, long story short, we had to go back up to the hotel to call AAA and wait for someone to come out to jump-start the car. Finally on the road at about 12:30, all was well until we got to the Interstate 5 junction in Irvine, where the traffic came to a standstill and continued in stop-and-go mode until San Clemente! We didn't get home until 3:30 p.m.

It was great to finally get home! To make it even better, Kyle had gone shopping and got everything needed for our traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. So he poured us some craft brews while we all traded stories of the past 3 weeks and cooked dinner. Cheers! And Happy Thanksgiving!!

We will always treasure our memories of Australia, especially the amazing, interesting and extremely friendly people we were fortunate to meet and get to know. To all of them we wish to say "Thank You!" We invite you to visit
Brick OvenBrick OvenBrick Oven

Robinsons in the City, Melbourne
us in California and can only hope to be able to repay your kind hospitality.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb