We're here!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
December 30th 2008
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we made it! Barry, the lucky bugger, got upgraded to First Class for the first leg, Club class for the bit from Singapore to Sydney but sat next to the toilets on the last leg - at the very back of the plane - How the mighty fall! Bit of a problem at immigration as the visa I had was cancelled when I got my new passport! Still the lady was very nice and I got a new ‘year long’ visa for free in the end. They didn’t like my boots at customs either and took them away for disinfecting! They let us bring in the mayonnaise for Debs though.
Ian picked us up at the airport and we were back at their place in the Dandenongs by mid day. The camper is nicer on the outside than the inside - it is functional rather than beautiful. Given time we would rip out most of the inside and start again! But it will do the job and I dare say we will grow to love it - or if not, we will know how best to rearrange it. Loads of room in there, just not laid out in a sensible way. Debs has provided us with lots of stuff from her copious cupboards, so there is little we have to buy.
Forced ourselves to stay up and had our first Aussie BBQ with Deb’s family.

Went to Melbourne on the train the next day to get our banking, phone and maps sorted- and purchased a splendid comfy mattress topper to enhance our sleeping experience. Sadly no photos of the lovely old buildings as we forgot to take the camera. Doh!
Tomorrow we will get the rest of the stuff we need from the camping shop. Kicking our heels a bit as Debs & Ian would like us to stay for New Year with their mates - and we would quite like that too!. Will probably take a trip to the Wildlife Park to see the new baby platypuses that were born earlier in the year. Might also have time to go to Ramsay Street!

Weather is deteriorating rapidly. Sunday it was nice and warm, yesterday it was dry but there was a chilly wind and today it is chucking it down! Still it will prove whether the camper leaks!

Ferry to Tassie goes on Jan 2nd - it will probably be snowing there! Best buy another jumper or two me thinks!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb