Beautiful Tassie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
January 6th 2009
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sun 4th Jan
Arrived in Tasmania a couple of days ago. And have already seen some splendid wild wildlife. An echidna at the side of the road, hoovering up ants, as they do. We have even seen platypus in the river near the campsite - they are very elusive, but I managed to get a few seconds of video footage! As I write this, there is a wallaby about 5ft away! The weather so far has been a bit like a nice English summer’s day - but the wind is cold on the coast, so I am wishing I brought more jumpers with me! We are currently at Mt William National Park - these are definitely the places to stay. The commercial camp sites are very crowded and I think they are dangerous as the pitches are very small - only a couple of feet apart. The manager of the park we stayed in at Latrobe (just off the ferry) was very interesting - his Dad caught the last remaining Tasmanian Tiger - the one that died in captivity in 1936. He was offered £25 for it, but managed to hold out for £30. How cool is that?!

Tues 6th Jan
Spent last night wild camping at the Bay of Fires - wonderful white sandy beach, just like icing sugar. Now at St Helens on the East Coast. Off to purchase some seafood at the ‘Salty Seas’. Weather is hot but there is a ferocious wind so we are getting cooked without realising it!!

Cant get a photo uploaded - this internet connection keeps going down!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb