Ayres Rock & Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
December 26th 2007
Published: December 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hope you all had a merry Xmas. We had a lovely day albeit rather different from the norm but before I get onto that I should tell you what we have been doing since our last blog.

We had two nights in Ayers Rock and I have to say I was a little cynical about going there as it is just a big rock in the desert but it certainly turned out to be much more than that, I think I can say it was quite mystical. The sunrise walk around the base of Uluru was spectacular, even allowing for the 5am pick up. Lots of fabulous photo opportunities so we took two!!! The resort itself is nothing special, very expensive and you are definately a captive audience. It's a bit like "The Aviemore Centre" before they knocked all the concrete down, just a bit more upmarket. After a tough afternoon lying by the pool we went to the Sounds of Silence dinner. This was fantastic, they bus you out into the desert where you are met with a glass or two of champagne, being entertained by a man playing the didgeridoo while watching the sun set on Uluru. You are then dined under the stars on kangaroo, crocodile, barrimundi etc. This is topped off with a lesson on the night sky.

We headed into Melbourne on Christmas eve and wished we had bought our warmer clothes with us as it was a chilly 16C however it is getting warmer each day. Christmas day saw us start with a champagne breakfast before heading out to explore Melbourne. We sat at a bar on the Southbank watching all the families out for a walk in the sunshine. We finished the day off with a lovely meal overlooking the Yarra river.

Heading off to St Kilda today, a beach resort in the Melbourne suburbs then tomorrow we are driving the Great Ocean Road. Marion had hoped to do this in an open topped sports car but cars are almost impossible to hire. Eventualyy got a Hyaundai Getz!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb