Welcome to Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
December 21st 2007
Published: December 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have now been in Perth since Monday afternoon. As a city it is relatively small but it makes it much more friendly. On our first day we hired bikes which isn't something you would probably do in a big city but in Perth it is perfectly safe to ride around the streets. We took in Kings Park with it's fantastic views over the city and the Swan River before heading across the river to South Perth, along the river front and back across to the city. It was a perfect way to see parts of Perth that you probably wouldn't otherwise.

The next day we took a cruise along the river to Fremantle. For those of you who remember Fremantle was home to the America's Cup some years ago but it has still retained it's olde world charm. We had the best fish and chips ever at Joes Fish Shack in Fishing Boat Harbour before heading off to jail!!! We took a tour around Fremantles Prison, built in the 1850's and used up until 1991, a rather grim place but I guess that's what prison is all about.

We are now staying with Wendy, Ian and family about an hour from the city, just past the Swan Valley where all the wineries are based. Wendy and Ian have shown us around the beaches north of the city, like Cottesloe Beach with it's lovely white sand and Hilary's Boat Harbour in Sorrento before heading inland to Gingin, a small well kept farming town.

Tomorrow we are heading off to Uluru for a couple of days.

We've been told that this is the coldest December for a long time but at 25C it is not too bad.

Anyway not sure when we will get to send our next blog so "Merry Christmas".



Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb