Great Ocean Road Day 20. Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 24th 2020
Published: February 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

GOR. Day 20. Warburton
Our last day of this tour. A 1 hr train journey to Lilydale to ride the old railway line trail to Warburton and back. A cloudy start but warm and what we would want for the finale. The trains in Australia are good for cyclists since bikes are no problem at. All 12 of us got on the same train to Lilydale whereas in the UK you are lucky to get 2 bikes on. The MYKI card system is also good in Victoria where you buy a card and load it with cash and travel anywhere, paying a maximum of approx $6.50 per day (£3.50). The trail was a bit lumpy all the way with a stiff climb to Mt Evelyn at 7km on a mixture of gravel, concrete and tarmac. Lunch was had at the Cog cafe in Warburton where they had a modern Penny Farthing with pneumatic tyre. There was plenty of bird life to see with Mynah birds, Bell Miner Birds, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Wrens and Kookaburras etc. We saw some domesticated animals such as Emu, Deer and Goats as well as some old tractors and machinery ( my cup of tea) there was an old road roller driven by a 1950’s Fordson Major tractor engine which looked interesting.
Upon our return it was time to wash the dust off our bikes and bag them up for our return to Blighty tomorrow. (Not for me, of course, I am spending a week with family in Melbourne before I dare go back to the floods and bad weather back home).
A good tour with some great people to a very different country with some rare animals. May we meet again one day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Museum Museum
Museum

South Yarra





Tot: 0.604s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb