Ireland v The Wallabies


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Telstra Dome
June 15th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 441 to 446 (10.06.08 - 15.06.08)

After a slight miscalculation of dates we arrived at our dentist appointment a month earlier than we were booked in - oooops - rushing back home we made it out to our evening of dancing.

With Mark tied up, as usual, with basketball on Wednesday night, Chrissie took to opportunity to go out with Franny and Hum to go and see Sex In The City at the Cinema.

Thursday night came around bringing Tiana's birthday - What a night! Firstly meeting at a Vietnamese noodle place we saw Prue for the first time in well over a year after meeting her with Tiana back in Japan. It was great to catch up and hear some of her tales of travelling and plans. Washing it all down with a couple of bottles of white - the excuse being it was all lubrication for the evenings singing. Yep you guessed it - another evening of Karaoke - highly appropriate since we'd shared our first karaoke experience of the trip with Tiana and Prue right back in Kyoto so long ago! Finding the Chi Lounge on Bourke St - we went in to find a fantastic bar decked out in elaborate Chinese decoration. Ushered through to our ‘lounge’ Tiana had organized our own Karaoke room which we quickly settled into with some spectacularly terrible singing with some equally bad songs!

Wrapping it all up around 2am, Mark was eager to continue on to a club (in his state it was probably a good job the 2am lock in had already taken effect - and they were all closed up to new punters) so we opted to make our way back to the flat instead.

On Friday we managed to get very little work done and took the evening off to rest and recharge!

With a weekend of international Rugby Union action, we had organised a trip to the Telstra Dome to watch the Wallabies play Ireland in a pre Tri Nations friendly! Gathering at Robs - we all had a couple of beers warming up for the match ahead before jumping on the train to the Telstra Dome.

One thing we had noticed since coming to Australia is that half of Ireland seems to be travelling here - so much so we’re surprised there are any Irish people left in Ireland. The support for the Emerald Isle was not a disappointment with the bridge to the domw awash with green, it was quite a sight.

In the stadium the atmosphere was superb. We witnessed a great game of rugby with the Irish, to Rob's great diappointment and Coop's pleasure, narrowly losing out. Having consumed just the amber liquid all evening we left the stadium starving and trusted Shaun, who suggested we take the 'short' walk around to his pub where there was loads of food options. The short walk turned into a bit of a trek and 3/4 of an hour later we were stood in south Melbourne somewhere with not one of the food places open ... we piled into a tram and jumped off in town where we quenched our hunger with some Mackers.

We finished off the week with a bit of a session on Rob's computer on Sunday catching up on the blog and some planning for our ongoing trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb