The long weekend - yet another public holiday!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
June 6th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 433 to Day 440 (02.06.08 - 09.06.08)

After our usual start to the week, we were feeling like getting a bit fitter, so went to a local gym and managed to get a 30 day trial for all of the gym and pool facilities. Going for a swim we started to take advantage of our new found membership before ensuring we had made it back to the flat for the finale of LOST.

Full of enthusiasm with our gym membership we both arose early on Friday and went for a workout before work - wow thats dedication we were sure wouldnt last! After a thoroughly dull day of work, we all reconvened at the flat for yet another 'quiet' friday with mates from work.

After a quiet saturday, we packed our whole weekend's activities into our Sunday starting off with a trip to the Astor Theatre, an old art deco place just around the corner from the flat. If you are a fan of films and the cinema in any way at all, you will love this place. Decked out and keeping its traditional roots, the theatre not only physically transports you back to 'old' days of cinema, but they also show (along with modern films) all of the classic films as well. We had chosen the epic viewing of Gone With The Wind. It's one of Chrissie's favourite films and she had always wanted to go and see it on the big screen, and Mark had never seen it all the way through.

It was an amazing place to go and see such an iconic film complete with full interval. We had a fantastic afternoon.

After the 4 hour film extravaganza we went back to the flat and got ready to go out for Franny's brithday. We thought it would be good to kick the evening off around the flat so we could catch up and have a few beers before we hit the pubs and clubs for the evening. Suitialy inebriated we all piled onto a tram and made our way up Chapel Street to a Club (Evolution) that Enoch had managed some guestlist invites for.

The night started off well but after a while there were these two fellas who were on stage doing some MCing - really badly! not wanting to suffer from their performance too much longer we all piled home again.

Being yet another public holiday weekend (this time for the Queen's birthday - get that! How come we don't get a day off in England for that!?), we started off with a bit of a hungover morning before going into the city and visiting the Melbourne Museum. There was so much to see and we only had a couple of hours there before it closed, so we chose to see a couple of exhibitions rather than trying to rush the whole thing. After wandering through the rainforest section we went to see a section on young Victorian designers who had displayed their work along with the report and thought process that had gone into it - it was fascinating. We took quite a while looking through the textiles, film, furniture, advertising and many others. We then saw the exhibit on the history of Melboune which was well worth the visit to the museum alone, finishing up with a trip to the bugs and animals exhibit. The museum is an excellent way to sepnd the day.

We weren't feeling in the mood to cook so popped into the Shanghai Dumpling Restaurant that we'd been to a few weeks ago on our way home for a cheap and tasty feed. We could easily become locals at this place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb