ROAD TRIP!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
May 23rd 2006
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lovely carLovely carLovely car

Pity bout the licence plate!
Hello all...
Bet you've been wondering what we've been up to lately...

...Well we've driven 1,950 Km from Sydney to Melbourne and around about in the last 10 days! And now we've finally arrived in Melbourne... Rozi's driving didnt kill us and we managed not to wreck the hire car - so all is well!!!

We succeded in negotiating our way out of Sydney and after a brief stop at the windy and grey Bondi Beach (just so we can say we've been there!) we headed up to the Blue Mountains, for a couple of days of sightseeing. Beautiful day when we got there - saw the 3 Sisters, an impressive rock formation with lovely views of the valley and mountains. The next day of course was completley foggy and you couldnt see past the end of your nose, so we gave up on the mountain views and decided to amuse ourselves with a tour round the equally impressive Jenolan Caves. These were really something else - having been dragged round plenty of caves in my time, i have to admit these were the best ive ever seen, with huge crystal formations glittering. Definatley brightened up a dull day.
Bondi beach!Bondi beach!Bondi beach!

Classic tourist stop - had to be done, but really wasnt all that!
Along with the giant wombat we saw, and the Kangaroo going through the bins in the car park!

From the Blue mountains we headed south down the Princes highway, through Woollongong and through ever more impressive scenery along the coast of New South Wales and Victoria, stopping at Narooma, Merimbula, Lakes Entrance, Philip Island, Torquay, Port Fairy and finally, Melbourne!

Most of the towns we stopped in were little seaside towns and were pretty dead as its now winter here in Oz, even though its still fairly warm to us! We explored the various beaches and museums and whatever each town had to offer that was still open!!!

The 90 mile beach at Lakes Entrance was impressive, as was the Killer Whale Museum at Eden - which gave a fascinating insight into the whaling industry which really thrived in early Australia - until they killed them all! Eden was interesting especially as the local pod of killer whales worked with the whalers to corner and trap other whales.

One highlight of our road trip was definatley the 'Penguin Parade' at Philip Island, where hundreds of penguins come ashore every evening for the night and you can
Three Sisters.Three Sisters.Three Sisters.

Or some rocks. Whatever you want to call them. Were quite impressive though.
watch them as they land of the beach and slowly make their way up the sand dunes to their burrows. The Little penguins are so tiny its hard to see them at first, until they come up out of the water with a great flapping and squawking! They are so funny to watch, we could have stayed for hours.

From Philip Island we negotiated our way around Melbourne down to the Great Ocean Road, which is hailed as one of the most picturesque drives in the world - when its not pouring with rain. Its about 200km of twisty coastal roads, which do have some awesome views in places. Admittedly the 12 Apostles rocks and various other formations and cliffs were beautiful. But trust our luck it was raining and cold and miserable!

The next day of course was sunny and bright. Just because we had to drive back to Melbourne and take the car back. Oh well. It was fun to have a bit of freedom for a while and have our own transport and be able to go where we wanted when we wanted. But now we're in Melbourne we're quite happy to give the car
Who's that?Who's that?Who's that?

Some mighty attractive people there!
back - driving in this city is crazy - worse then London or Sydney! There are trams everywhere threatening to mow you down at junctions and at some crossroads you have to turn left to turn right. Whatever. Glad i dont live here! Its hard enough being a passenger on the flipping trams and working out what on earth tram you want to get on and where they are going! Its all far more complicated than it needs to be im sure!

Anyway enough of our ranting, we're now going to explore Melbourne for a week, if we dont get run over by the trams!

Loads of love,

Rozi and Steve
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Jenolan CavesJenolan Caves
Jenolan Caves

Were pretty impressive - huge stalagmites and stalactites, all glittering with crystals.
Pelican on a streetlightPelican on a streetlight
Pelican on a streetlight

These huge birds are so funny to watch. Much better than seagulls.
Sunset over Lakes EntranceSunset over Lakes Entrance
Sunset over Lakes Entrance

Beautiful sunset over the harbour of this little seaside town.
Huge waves on Philip IslandHuge waves on Philip Island
Huge waves on Philip Island

Steve the cameraman waited 20 minutes for this shot!
Little PenguinsLittle Penguins
Little Penguins

or Fairy Penguins as theyre also called. Smallest species of penguin in the world, theyre only about a foot high!
The 12 ApostlesThe 12 Apostles
The 12 Apostles

I think there's only 7 left now though!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb