2009- Back in Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Carlton North
March 17th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Returning back to Melbourne in the new year- I had a house share lined up in Fitzroy- north east of Melbourne centre. It was a lovely big town house- sharing with a lovely german- Stef, a young Ozzy- Rachael, and a very small argentinean- Joaquin! 😊

Fitzroy is such a great area- 2 minute walk to Brunswick street, which is lined packed with bars, cafes, funky clothes shops and random book and novelty stores. I loved living there!!

I spent quite a few days just chilling- loving the novelty of my own room, internet access and lovely huge kitchen!
Had many visits down to St Kilda to see Ruth who was in a house share there- nights out there. Visited my craaaazy Irish mates whom id met in the hostel, they had a huge house share down in Brighton! About 12 of them crammed into a four bed house!

Laura returned from her America travels, so we got back into the swing of going out in the bars in Southgate, on the river! 😊

I pretty much got into a routine, as I got a casual temp job at an office, just doing reaaaally basic stuff, but managed to make a good wage. Had nights out at the weekends, barbies at our place. The weather got soooo hot for quite a while- one week hitting 45 degrees for a good 5-6 days in a row! The hottest its been down in Victoria for a hundred years apparently! Meanwhile the heaviest snow back home in years!!!!! The heat got so bad here, there were tons of forest fires all around Victoria- really scary! But we were all ok being central.

Valentines was celebrated with my girls- Lau and Stef, watching a movie at the open air cinema in the botanical gardens with a picnic and a couple fo bottles of vino- lovely!!

I went to St Kilda festival- that was great. Popped down with Laura and her cousin. All the surrounding streets were closed off- people from all the bars down there were spilled onto the streets, stalls and shows dotted about. Music blasting from a main stage- and all the bars. Was a great night.

And thinking, when i first arrived here, that mid February was so far off- here it came- and Amanda and Mich arrived for a jam-packed month....

They arrived mid-week, so I showed them around town, the Library, Federation Square, Southgate, the river and St Kilda, having a wonder round St Kilda market as well, pretty much a small version of camden market, with grungy clothing stalls and food and jewellery, Friday- we went to chapel street and the docs.

Friday night- we did the usual local areas- Southgate bars, Transport bar in Fed Square, then St Jeromes- although there was a bloomin power cut- so we had a drink in the dark.... then we hit the Joint (the bar under my old hostel), and walked home- as i seem to remember, we got a tram, but i had to get off half way as i felt sick- who knows where that came from!!! 😊

The next morning- veeery hung over- me, mand, mich and Ruth, got picked up by Laura, and headed down to the Great Ocean Road!!
We drove out through Melbourne, and over to Torquay- or first stop. We then got to the famous "round the twist' lighthouse! Then driving past Apollo all the way to Port Campbell to see the 12 Apostles. Got a million snaps- then drove back to Apollo bay where we stayed the night. Found the one and only 'local'- which was full the brim of pretty much in-breds! (SORRY!!HEHE) We met a Bruce!! and found a man with a mullet!! SO was a pretty good night all in all!! 😊

The next morning we headed back towards Melbourne- stopping at Bells beach- to do the ultimate Keamoo shot- only some people will get that! Then Lorne, then home. With the help of Lauras hawk eyes- who jammily spotted a wild Koala chilling up in a tree!!!! Woohoo!! Great weekend- fab beaches- great waves, great surfurs! 😊 A lovely trip to do!






Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

light houselight house
light house

have you ever... ever felt like this.... have strange things happened- are you going round the twiiiiist!!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb