Day 116 Australia, Adelaide to Melbourne via the Grampians and Great Ocean Road.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Grampians
March 11th 2015
Published: March 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

G'Day Bloggers,



We started the Great Ocean Road and Grampians National Park tour with ‘Wildlife Tours Company’. This was the cheapest tour we found, which included the same things as the other tour itineraries, and especially with the 10% off by booking on ‘tight ass Tuesdays’ is was a bargain ($233) for 2days1night.



We had to leave the Tatts hostel at 6.40am to walk to the YHA youth hostel around the corner for a 7am pick up!! We met our tour guide Adam, he was a nice Ozzie fellow and there were a total of 8 of us on the tour, this was the smallest tour by far but meant everyone had loads of room on the bus (3 seats each to lie out on). On the way we passed a car on fire on the motorway!! Not something you see everyday!!!



We had a 5-hour drive before stopping for lunch so we all slept. We stopped for lunch in a small town where we all bought picnic food from Coles (bread, pate, olives, crisps). We then had a little more driving to do before we arrived at the Grampians, home to kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, emus, birds, etc. The first stop was at Brambuk Aboriginal culture center to learn the culture and history of the local Jardwadjali and Djab Wurrung tribes. Afterwards Adam drove us around parts of the NP for breathtaking views at Reeds lookout; views over lake Bellfield and the jaws of death for great views and photo opportunities. We also stopped off at McKenzie Falls where we walked down the steps to the bottom of the falls for photos. No one was swimming though. To be honest it’s a lot colder down south compared to where we have been in the last 2 weeks so I’m wearing jeans, a jumper and a light mack.



Before dinner we stopped of at the local cricket ground to see some wild Kangaroo’s, these were nice however I was a little apprehensive of hand feeding a Kangaroo as you can see in our photos!!!



The last stop was where we were staying for the night in Halls Gap; it’s the heart of the Grampians, which has a few restaurants and hostels. Included in the tour cost was dinner, prepaid in a local restaurant near the hostel. We all ate together, I had grilled barramundi with chips and salad, and Neil had a burger with chips-It was delicious. As a group we were allocated three rooms (two dorms of 3 and one dorm of 4). As there were only 8 of us and Neil and I were the only couple, we were given one of the rooms of 3 for ourselves-always nice!



After dropping our bags off we went to the common room in the hostel that had a free pool table and games. We then played trivial pursuit with everyone until about 10.30pm at which point everyone headed to bed. (Neil joint won as everyone was getting bored)



Love V&N x


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb