The Wanderers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Cobram
March 26th 2014
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mulwala LakeMulwala LakeMulwala Lake

Huge Lake and beautiful with people canoeing, windsurfing and fishing.
Geo: -35.9168, 145.651

Up at 0830 had breakfast and at 0930 went for a drive to Yarrawong-Mulwala, in Yarrawonga called in to a great bargain store to get umbrella's which we needed packing up the van in Swan Hill and we are expecting rain this afternoon. The place was packed from ceiling to floor with everything you could possible want, Mick asked if they could fit any more things into the place and the girl said they keep trying.

After buying the umbrellas we took a drive to Mulwala which had a huge lake that was pretty impressive. The whole area must get their water from it and the housing was around $100,000,000 to buy, just a bit out of our price range.

Coming back to Cobram we called at Fyffe Field Wines for a bit of tasting and the place had pigs everywhere, they were great, big and small. The Port, Cobram Cream and a couple of wines were not bad either, Mick was driving so I enjoyed the tastings.

We then left and called at Byramine Homestead (meaning rustic retreat) & Brewery, Mick not keen on boutique beers so we had a good look around the old place built by Elizabeth
A Pier?A Pier?A Pier?

Close enough to a pier but instead was a swimming hole with ducks on it.
Hume - the first person to live in north east Victoria with nine children. The most unique aspect of the house is the octagonally shaped central room called the fortress, which was designed to provide a clear view of all angles in case of attack from bushrangers or aboriginals.

Safety features included wooden shutters covering the French windows and low door handles allowing children quick entry. The walls of the house are about sixteen inches thick, built with bricks made by their own hands at a makeshift brick kiln by the lagoon. Well worth a look.

1130 we drove to The Big Strawberry at Koonoomoo for lunch, Mick had a strawberry sundae and I had Strawberry pancakes, sickly sweet but it filled a hole and then made our way back to the caravan park just before it started to rain, which looks like it may not give up for quite a while.

On our way tomorrow to Healsville for a couple of nights and meeting up with friends, Trev and Robyn who will also stay for a couple of nights, looking forward to it and then we will be heading home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Fyffe Field WinesFyffe Field Wines
Fyffe Field Wines

They had a big cabinet full of pigs but the flash stuffed the photo, their were pigs everywhere
Byramine HomesteadByramine Homestead
Byramine Homestead

Built in the 1842, National Trust Classified 'A' to be preserved at all costs
The Octagonal Room The Octagonal Room
The Octagonal Room

Had guns and valuables hidden under the floor boards and from this room Elizabeth could see who was approaching from all angles, through rooms of this central room.
The Big StrawberryThe Big Strawberry
The Big Strawberry

Here's looking at you!


26th March 2014

Love the 'Marie' strawberry. xxx

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb