Devonport - last day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Devonport
February 23rd 2015
Published: March 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Devonport Last Day 2

Today rain was forecast at 8am but it is late and the heat is still on, the rain never came. Even the locals are complaining it is too hot but we are soaking it up. After all who would have thought that it could be 30 degrees in February. A good Full English breakfast at the motel set us up for the day and the first job was to strip down our bikes and bag them up ready for the flight out tomorrow. This is always an unwelcome task when such an interesting and successful tour ends and we are in the 'going home' mode. A walk into town followed and a peep in the local bike shop to drool over the latest lightweight bikes with electric gear shifters. Bill then decided we would do some bird watching so off we went to the Mersey Bluff and the forest around the headland. Not before a bit of pensioner paddling in the sea at Coles Bay. We saw several local birds like the yellow throated bee eater, wattle bird, grey fantail, masked lapwing, galas and three kookaburras on a branch together. There was also a family of fairy wrens rushing around like fury. Hunger took us back into town for a scone and coffee only to be asked for the hundredth time where we were from. The serving lady recognised we were from the north as she was originally from Bradford herself. Yesterday in Latrobe we met people from Wigan and Oldham and the previous day a man from Cornwall, whose parents came over as £10 Poms. All seeming to be enjoying the life in a warmer climate.
We decided to eat at the Sunrise Motel tonight since we could not find a restaurant that could accommodate all the various dietary requirements. I wore the green 'Cycle 2' Tasmanian Cycling top, which the group had kindly bought for me yesterday, which rounded off the tour very nicely. It just remains for us to get to the airport by tomorrow lunch time for out flight to Melbourne. I will then make my way to Geelong and the rest will fly home to England to prepare for their next tour to 'who knows where'.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb