Mount Gambier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
February 28th 2013
Published: February 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Limestone Coast was our next destination and in particular Mount Gambier home of the Blue Lake. I had read about and seen many pictures of the Lake but I was a still a little dubious that in real life it may not reach the expectations I had of it. Well you could knock me over with a feather this place was incredible and exceeded my expectations, I was a happy man.



Unfortunately when we arrived at one of the Lake lookouts in the morning it was very windy, very wet and very cold really cold! It did not seem to deter the locals however there were plenty of them up and about enjoying a walk around the perimeter of the Lake.

As the sky was quite grey and overcast I wondered if the Lake like the ocean would be bluer on a clearer day and when we returned that afternoon as the sky cleared it sure was, it was like –WOW!

Mt Gambier is also very famous for its sinkholes and one, Cave Gardens is smack bang in the middle of the city. I was very disappointed however to see a stray black cat wandering about the place stalking the birds that were happily playing in the trees. Umpherston Sinkhole is located about a 5 minute drive from the city centre and story boards explain in great detail the history of the place.

Our first stop when we arrived in town was at the local Information Centre they were extremely helpful and I think we were able to see everything that appealed to us thanks to their advice. The city is clean and the people were friendly. As in most parts of South Australia the city has many magnificent historic buildings.

A night time light show is held at Cave Gardens every night (I think) and is well worth a look, also check out the free Volcano movie which is just near Cave Gardens it explains when, how and why the area was formed. It also showcases the magnificent scenery of the region.

Situated on the edge of a long extinct volcano and located on the highest point of Mt Gambier is Centenary Tower, it is a bit of a walk but is definitely worth the effort, you can see for miles.



We are off to Victor Harbour next on the Fleurieu Peninsula.

Take care and remember – it’s nice to be important but it’s important to be nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement









Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb