Approaching Adelaide and finding Disneyland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
May 7th 2005
Published: May 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After the great ocean road we approach the last part of our trip - crossing the border to the state of South Australia and driving to Adelaide. We still have over 500km to go.
The biggest attraction on Thursday was right next to Warrnambool. Korhan spotted that really by chance in one of my tours brochures - Tower Hill state game reserve. I don't really understand what a game reserve is (especially that they had a big sign prohibiting hunting) but it was full of Australian wildlife. We woke up at 6AM to arrive early when the animals are still active. Driving there was like driving in a safari - kangaroos, wallabies, emus all over, and we even spotted Koalas on one of the trees, sleeping high above us. It was a fun place!
From there I drove 180 km (nothing in Australia's scale) to the town of Mt. Gambier. There were no "welcome to South Australia" signs when I crossed the border but the max speed was increased to 110 km/h. I love South Australia!
There's nothing much to tell about the rest. Mt. Gambier disappointed us. We expected some short hikes but everything was much smalled than expected. They had a small wildlife reserve that was fun - plenty of the regular (Am I not impressed by kangaroos anymore?) and nice birds too.
We drove from there on the coastal highway and stopped for the night in the town of Kingston that's had one major attraction - Larry the giant (fiberglass) lobster... For dinner we had "Larry junior" - a tasty lobster, the cheapest I have ever seen, plus a good local fish, finally grilled and not fried. I didn't know they do that here with all their horrible fish and chips places everywhere.
On Friday morning we looked for the second Kingston attraction: "the granites" described as boulders in the shape of a whale. Oh yes... if you use triple imagination you might find that impressive. But on the small road to the granites we almost had our first kangaroo accident. I had to actually stop as he just stood there on the road side and didn't run away, and when I stopped he did run away - crossing the road just in front of our car... and then performing an impressive high jump over a fence! So maybe I am still impressed with kangaroos after all.
The
Look at this funny signLook at this funny signLook at this funny sign

Couldn't they save something by writing "everyday 10-5"???
rest of the day was a quiet nice drive to Adelaide. Adelaide is a nice city with a small non-intimidating center. We found a small hostel and discovered that we are just in front of the local market. Wow! that market was Disneyland for us! We walked around trying things and then bought our dinner: kangaroo meat, emu sausage and a pigeon. So kangaroo is OK, nothing special to write home about. The emu sausage tasted like a salami. The pigeon on the other hand was really good.
Saturday was mostly devoted to the market again. We sampled more things, and to make up for those calories we also went all the way to the botanical gardens. The town center is nice with some very beautiful Victorian style buildings and an impressive shopping center.
After another good dinner (pigeons and a goat) Korhan boarded his bus to Melbourne and I am again travelling by myself. We had good 10 days travelling together, I feel so lucky with my travel mates so far!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Map of South AustraliaMap of South Australia
Map of South Australia

Following a reader's request... It shows most of the route of the 2 days


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb