The great ocean road is REALLY great!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
May 4th 2005
Published: May 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The last 2 days were really awesome! According to our new terms, they were not "best general" - they were spectacular!
We started late due on Tuesday to errand duties in Geelong but when you get to this coastal road you immediately get to those lovely surfing beaches - huge waves (probably those were not so huge for the locals because it was a really fine day, but compared to our Mediterranean sea, they were!). We drove along the coast. stopping at every possible lookout for pictures, especially the beautiful Teddy's lookout where I managed to photograph a magpie bird for the first time. I admired those birds simple black&white beauty since NZ and finally one is posing for me.
In some parts the road is carved out in the rocks right beside the ocean and it's really simply beautiful.
We stopped for the night in a town called Apollo Bay where we had a very nice small hostel, NZ-like: small house, not too many rooms, big communal room and a nice kitchen. This inspired us to cook dinner - we bought lamb steaks, all sorts of interesting sausages and more, cooked my last bag of couscous that came from NZ, and together with wine and beer it was a great dinner.
If we enjoyed Tuesday, Wednesday showed us the real spectacular attractions. The road itself gets farther from the ocean and we had 2 hours of boring hours drive. In the middle we detoured to a famous lighthouse and discovered that it costs 11.5$ to get it. The lady there explained that there are some historic buildings and you can go into the lighthouse and then I ask her "So what do we get for our 11.5$?" and she says "Mum, I just explained to you, you see historic buildings blah blah blah", and I am making faces of "you expect me to pay 11.5$ for this? In Israel we have REAL historic buildings, what history you have here?" and Korhan could hardly retain his burst of laugh... Needless to say we drove away but we didn't stop imitating the scene for the next hour...

And then the first sign of the Port Campbell national park - Gibson steps. We went down to the beach through these steps curved in the cliff. The waves were even bigger than we saw yesterday. And they were not only big, the seemed really strong. These waves are responsible for the amazing view - they "eat" the coastline cliffs to create all the "islands" rocks, arches bridges etc that you better see in the pictures because I can't describe it better in words. A few minutes from that beach we get to the 12 apostles - 12 rocks remaining in the middle of the sea with all these waves around them. The view is stunning. Spectacular. Amazing. Awesome.

(For those interested I copy this: "The dramatic and imposing limestone cliffs that are the backdrop to the Apostles tower up to 70 metres, while the tallest of the rock stacks is around 45 metres high. The Apostles had their beginnings up to 20 million years ago with the forces of nature attacking the soft limestone of the Port Campbell cliffs. The limestone was created through the build up of skeletons of marine creatures on the sea floor. As the sea retreated, the limestone was exposed. The relentless, stormy Southern Ocean and blasting winds gradually eroded the softer limestone, forming caves in the cliffs. The caves eventually became arches and when they collapsed, rock islands up to 45 metres high were left isolated from the shore. ")

Following Erez's advice I asked about scenic flights. I was lucky - a family of 5 just decided to go and I can join them - I even get a discount. I get a great seat at the front of the helicopter and we take off to 15 minutes flight over this amazing coastline. Views are again stunning. I didn't stop pressing the button of the camera...

After my flight we continued to the other attractions, all of the same type but each is different and beautiful by itself - the Razorback, Thunder Cave, Blowhole, London Bridge, Grotto, Loch Ard gorge and bay of islands.

We called it a day in the nice town with the horrible name "Warrnambool", where we had a cheese tasting dinner, with some more wine and beer - did I mention that sampling everything means sampling all the beers they make here? My favorite Victoria-made beer is Empire lager.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

My lovely chopper...My lovely chopper...
My lovely chopper...

well, not yet mine really :-)
Loch Ard GorgeLoch Ard Gorge
Loch Ard Gorge

Named after a ship that wrecked here and the sole 2 survivors were carried by the waves into this gorge


7th May 2005

The Big Blue....
Sorry that I didn't read and just look at the pictures at this post, And now....how can I go to the office??? I want to travel NOW!!!!!!! Continue enjoying darling! Miss yaaaaaaa!!!! - Eti

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb