Lake Eyre to Hooky's Water Hole


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
July 13th 2013
Published: July 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have had a big day. We continued from our camp spot down to Lake Eyre North – the big one! The road was terrible. Around 60km with some of the worst corrugations around. We arrived to see that the lake was a fair way out. In fact it was too far for us to walk to however we did have a look around the sea shore and the sand was mixed with some sort of graphite to make it black and slippery.

Paddy and Phil set up an infrared camera to have a look at the wildlife that is floating about. We sat around and saw that there were rabbits, foxes and even a dingo wandering close to our camp.

After we drove back out we got to William Creek Hotel to fuel up on diesel ($1.98 per litre) and we had a few frothies and a pie each in the pub. Neil, the Pom, was in an outback pub, having Irish beer, being served by girls from Finland. Go figure!

From there we stopped at Edward Creek ruins and some big old railway bridge (which was bloody long) on the way to Oodnadatta. Tonight we are at a spot called Hooky’s Water Hole which is 7km south of the Oodnadatta. We have been watching the lightning for the last two hours so I’l have to cut the summary short and run the laptop back to the safety of the truck.

Just to summarise the rest of the night, Phil fell over some concrete reo and cut himself, and everyone was in bed before 9pm!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb