Exploring around the Port Augusta area.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
April 27th 2013
Published: April 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Henry was dropped off the get his new battery,chain and front wheel, so we took off to explore on Heidi. We rode to Quorn where we had a delicious scone and coffee at the Quandong Cafe. A couple of movies have been filmed around here in this tiny exquisite town, The Shiralee and On Any Sunday being just two of them.

Wilmington then through Melrose to Murray Town and it felt like we were part of a movie set, with the Flinders Ranges and then the Remarkables mountain range around us, beautiful riding. Most of the roads were just fabulous, the colours were vibrant and apart from some wind (of course, its s.a.) it was a great riding day.

Murray Town was a funny little place, really small village with 1 dozen buildings including the pub, nothing open. They had a campground in the centre of town, right next to the mail exchange,(see facebook). The road from there to the coast was FAntastic. Quite old, as was evident by the visible rock foundations, but well preserved. This road was heaps and heaps of fun, it actually had heaps of things called corners and curves, and wasn't it nice to give the sides of the tyres a run. It felt great just cranking Heidi over a bit to take the corners, such a lovely change from thousands of dull, boring, mindnumbing straights. Another highly recommended road.

The trains here are obviously quite long, but it was strange to see them stacking the containers two high, no tunnels out here.

We are camping opposite the shunting yards, do you know that they shunt trains 24hours d ay. The night is just as busy, if not busier than the daylight hours.

The local AFL club put on happy hour with $10 meals last night, guess where we had dinner. Eoin thoroughly enjoyed the conversations and all the memorabilia decorating the walls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



28th April 2013

Still enjoying your blogs - certainly a journey for you both. Just back from NZ, and if you are complaining about straight roads you should ride the South Island (in summer). Plenty of sweeping bends, beauiful scenery and no traffic. In fact they only build one lane bridges because of the lack of traffic.
28th April 2013

What the heck happened t Henry
Got two blogs in one day today. In the space of those Henry went from a crook battery to needing a front wheel and chain. Did I miss something? Hope all is ok. I know what you mean about the straights, but its good you didn't get the Nullabor. It's even straighter and more boring. The little towns, with quaint sports clubs and good cheap food are always the gems in a trip like yours. We are about to head to Cooktown and drop the van to head for the cape. Our travelling group has dwindled from 12 to 4, but we may pick up a few. A possible cyclone is threatening, lets hope it changes direction before we have to change or abandon plans.
29th April 2013

Hi you lovely people
Hi Missing you, we need strong people here! What a wonderful journey, hope you can sleep with the trains! its gret to hear from you, sorry I have not commented for a while but lifes ,, you know -YES BUSY!!! Alot has been happening , we have had a fair bit of Sorry business. I am finally retiring, last day on the 26th july Yippie! Hope to have time for a catch up on your return. Enjoy your journey. Thoughts are with you in the wind! Sharralyn

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb