Limestone Coast - Coorong


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
October 6th 2011
Published: October 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Trish and Jackie at Cape DombeyTrish and Jackie at Cape DombeyTrish and Jackie at Cape Dombey

Cape Dombey is at Robe where the obelisk is sited
Leaving Beachport we headed directly to Robe where Neil wanted coffee (becoming a familiar pattern in the mornings!) but we were more than happy to encourage this behaviour as Trish and I both love Robe having been there many times before. Great spot, fantastic beach and dune 4WD venue. After 'doing' the shops and great coffee at 'The Providor' we eventually headed off towards Kingston SE and fish and chips for lunch ! becoming a gastronomic tour, we will change all that shortly! A walk around the shops and some shopping for dinner saw us on the road again headed towards the Coorong.

I have been along here many times and never seen the station country looking so good, usually dry and with sand ridges exposed, the cattle were belly deep in pasture in some paddocks and crops were being grown where I suspect they have not been for many years.

Then we came across a signpost to 'The Granites' and somewhere I recalled reading that this may be a good free camping spot so off we headed and a couple of Klm's in we came to a great spot right on the beach where you could see each
Trish & Jackie on Long BeachTrish & Jackie on Long BeachTrish & Jackie on Long Beach

Long Beach is at Robe and stretches around to Cape Jaffa
way along to the horizon with no one on it. Jackie enjoyed a swim, a run, a walk and lots of new beach smells as we all did ! With an early finish to travelling for the day we relaxed into some pre dinner drinks and enjoyed the sight of a pod of dolphins swimming off shore from our camp before a BBQ dinner on the beach. To use Neils' now familiar catch cry...'does it get any better than this?'


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Long Beach at RobeLong Beach at Robe
Long Beach at Robe

This is a fantastic sand driving beach which makes finding your 'own spot on the beach exciting and possible'
 The Coorong National Park The Coorong National Park
The Coorong National Park

The Girls at the start of 'The Coorong"


7th October 2011

Dolphins!
Did Jackie see the dolphins? Did she bark? Sounds like an awesome spot for the night! Reading all those 4WD and caravan magazines has paid off, just need to remember where all the other free camping spots are!
16th October 2011

Jackie on the beach!
The photos look good! Jackie staring off into the distance at the beach is hilarious!

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb