The Nullarbor


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
December 14th 2007
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Nularbor


On our way again up and over getting closer to the Nullarbor! Port Augusta was the first town which isn’t the nicest town, and down along the coast with odd stops along the way. One being Port Lincoln where we could have gone cage diving with the notorious great white shark but tours were all booked up a month in advance. I am sure grandma was happy about that! So we carried on up the coast stopping at Point Avoid (an awesome lookout) and one of the coolest stops being ‘staircase to heaven‘. A long steep staircase leading down to a beach where we got a beautiful view of a sea lion playing in the water. Of course I was pointing the camera the wrong direction and missed the perfect shot as it came through on a wave. It was very cool the sun was shining perfectly through it and everything. Murphy’s Haystacks was the last scenic stop which took more time finding the turn off then it did seeing the spot but it was cool none the less. They are big round rocks in the middle of nowhere, they are colourful weather sculpted granite outcrops and are millions of years old. Then off to Ceduna, the last town before the nullarbor, to get ready for the long drive across pretty much nothing (almost like driving in ManitobaJ). If the drive along the nullabar doesn’t kill you then surely the horrendous gas prices will! Nearly two dollars a litre if you can believe it. Now we really should have read about crossing the SA-WA border because we stocked up on great fresh fruit and veggies then got to the border around lunch and found out we would either have to have the biggest fruit and veggie lunch ever or throw it out. We did our best but I think we still had to throw out about half. Carrying on we made it to a small place just at the end of the Nullarbor called Baledonia where we slept in gungy looking beds with spider webs in every corner, but it was raining and we were all too tired to care we were just happy the Nullarbor was defeated!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb