Friendly Adelaide!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
March 24th 2012
Published: March 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Adelaide early in the morning and were very cheerfully greeted by Kat, who was in town for her sister’s wedding. She even collected our luggage and was ready with a cart when we walked into the baggage claim area.

Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia and the fifth-largest city in Australia. Adelaide has an estimated population of more than 1.2 million. Named in honor of Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort to King William IV, the city was founded in 1836 as the planned capital for a freely settled British province in Australia. Adelaide was designed in a grid layout, interspaced by wide boulevards and large public squares, and entirely surrounded by parkland. Early Adelaide was shaped by religious freedom and a commitment to political progressivism and civil liberties, which led to the moniker "City of Churches". The city also ranks highly in terms of livability, being listed in the Top 10 of The Economist's World's Most Livable Cities index in 2010 and being ranked the most livable city in Australia by the Property Council of Australia in 2011. We were happy to call this city home for the next two days!

After leaving the airport we headed into town for a very delicious breakfast at the central market and explored the streets of Adelaide. It was really fun to see the town through the eyes of Kat and have her point out various landmarks, including the Supreme Court, where she worked when living in the city.

We left Adelaide around noon and headed to the famous Australian wine-making region of Barossa valley. Kat organized multiple winery visits for us as well as a small cottage in which we were going to stay for the night. The Barossa region was quite stunning and we first visited the famous Penfolds winery, probably the most known Australian wine producer in the United States. We followed up Penfolds with a very small winery call Whistler; the highlight of this location was their kangaroo sanctuary. We were even able to go in and pet the kangaroos ourselves! The last winery of the day was the best – it is called Two Hands and is known for its wine called “Gnarly Dudes”. We spent the evening talking and playing games in our cottage with the spoils of our winery visits and a fire place! It was so nice just to hang out with a good friend from NYC!

The next day, on our way back from Barossa valley to Adelaide we stopped off at two more wineries, one in Barossa valley called Henschke, who’s cellar door has won multiple awards and then headed over to Wirra Wirra winery that is located in McLaren Vale. Before arriving at Kat’s mom’s house we stopped by the old neighborhood where Kat grew up – a nice trip down the memory lane. We were welcomed very warmly by Kat’s mom and after relaxing for a bit headed over to the LifeGuard bar and restaurant for dinner, which was located overlooking a beautiful Adelaide beach. We were lucky to meet the bride-to-be as well and spent the evening together playing cards back at Kat’s mom’s home.

All good must come to an end, and we got up at 4 AM to catch our very early flight out to Fiji! (Kat we owe you big time for your hospitality and for taking us to the airport at that crazy hour). Australia was truly amazing and we are so lucky to have friends with us at every location we visited!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb