Australia 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
April 2nd 2017
Published: April 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

For Pat and Lesha's last few days in Australia, we played a few rounds of golf (see picture of my new golfing partner) and continued to explore some smaller communities in and around Noosa Heads. Just outside Kenilworth, there is a Fig Tree Walk which is a relatively short stroll through a tropical forest. Australia has some very unique vegetation and we discoverd on the walk a very interesting "stinger tree" which has a heart shape leaf containing small hairs that are very painful if touched. The pain can last a few hours and sometimes months in severe cases. Even fallen leaves are still dangerous and researchers have discovered decades old leaves that have been preserved and are still irritating to the skin. Also on the walk were some pretty impressive Fig Trees that germainated at the top of amother tree and eventually their root system strangled the host tree. Some of these trees are over 300 years old and as you can see by the pictures are massive.

Maleny, a tourist town about 20km from the Fig Tree walk, was the next stop. After a walk around and quick lunch, we headed out to Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve which was a well regarded Tropical Rainforest experience. Unfortunately, the trail was closed due to damage done by Tropical Storm Debbie (formerly Cyclone Debbie). We did spend some time at the interpretation center and there was a fabulous view of Glass Mountains which we had seen a few days earlier from the other side of the mountain range.

We bid safe travels to Pat and Lesha who headed back to Canada after spending almost a month in Australia. It was great to have them visit with us and hope they enjoyed the Australian experience (all except the Cyclone storm). We have a few more days of golfing and enjoying the Australian fall before heading back home as well.

Australia is a great country to visit. The people are very friendly and the country has world class infrastructure that is well maintained. It appears to be a very safe country but caution is advised if you're speeding. Unfortunately we got caught with a Traffic Camera and the fine was $161.00 for being 11km over the limit. Ouch!!!! We would definitely return to the Noosa Springs as the facilities are superb and the area a very pleasant "winter getaway"

Au revoir to Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.401s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb