The third largest sand island in the world!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
May 24th 2006
Published: May 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Big jump!Big jump!Big jump!

Jumping over the sand dunes at Moreton Island
We had planned on going to Fraser Island for a couple of days, everyone we’ve spoken to said it’s amazing, but due to lack of time and money, we took a day trip over to Moreton Island, another sand island, the third biggest in the world! For me this was without doubt the highlight of the Brisbane/Gold coast part of our trip. Me and Tom got another go at sandboarding (first time for Sam), and this time was much better, we could actually stand up on these boards, and the sand dunes were much bigger than the ones in Western Australia, and at one point we even managed to get 6 people to go down in one go (which obviously ended in us all falling off and getting sand EVERYWHERE!

We then visited some fantastic view points, where it looked like you were looking towards the edge of the world from the top of the cliffs, and below the water was crystal clear, we could even see what was likely to be a sea turtle a few hundred feet below! This was all followed by a quick game of footy (which we somehow ended up losing), and swimming in water
Moreton IslandMoreton IslandMoreton Island

The beach at the island where we went swimming in.... in possibly shark infested water!
which is renowned for its sharks! We were warned that if we saw any fish, to stay away because its likely that they are being chased by something a lot bigger - so when we kept seeing big shadows, and fish leaping out of the water, as if to escape from something, it was a little unnerving...

We rounded off the day with a stop off at blue lagoon, Moreton Island’s largest freshwater lake, which was great to chill out and cool off in - overall a fantastic day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Blue LagoonBlue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon

The main fresh water lake on Moreton


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb