Aussie, Aussie, Aussie...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
April 29th 2009
Published: April 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Firstly, apologies for being so lame at keeping you updated whilst we're on our travels - obviously, we're having such a good time we just can't be arsed to find an internet cafe! Secondly, the computer I'm on doesn't allow me to upload photos so you'll have to wait to see the gorgeous blue skies and crystal seas we've had for the last two and a half weeks...

So we flew from Bangkok to Cairns on Saturday 11th April, during which we watched a fantastic lightening storm from the aeroplane - not for the faint-hearted! We picked up our campervan and began our adventure. (We have yet to name the van and welcome any suggestions)

First stop, north to Cooktown, named after Lynsay's great great great great... great great Grandad (not really). Saw 8 dead kangaroos on the journey and watched sunset over the town. Next we visited Port Douglas and enjoyed the beach.

The rainforest at Cape Tribulation was amazing. We walked through the rainforest, swam in a creek (avoiding the crocs) and had lunch on the beach. We almost had a run-in with a cassowary but fortunately our guide was game enough to stand on the picnic table and scream at it... We took a boat trip down the Daintree River to do some crocodile spotting and managed to get a glimpse of Fat Albert. We had a bit of a situation when we got back to the van in that we'd left the windows open... in the rainforest... and guess what... it rained. We had a very wet campervan for a few days but fortunately it has recovered now.

Next stop was Townsville, with a stop en route at Mission Beach. Don't go to Townsville...

We took a ferry to Magnetic Island and spent the day lounging on the beach. We did muster some energy to take a walk to the viewpoint and even managed to spot a few koalas on our way to the top.

On 17th we arrived in Airlie Beach where the pace finally picked up and we actually saw some people. We took a boat out to a pontoon on the Great Barrier Reef and went diving... we even managed to find Nemo! Absolutely fantastic day :-) The next day we sailed the Whitsundays on a big purple catamaran (OK, there wasn't enough wind to sail so we cruised!) We went snorkelling in Hook Passage and enjoyed the beautiful sands on Whitehaven Beach. Oh, and as a bonus, the boat had free beer. Good times!

On 20th April we arrived in Bundaberg where we had a tour of the Bundaberg Rum distillery. We definitely reccommend this rum and are hoping it is available in the UK - please keep an eye out for it!

Next stop, Noosa, where again, we enjoyed the beach and booked a tour to Fraser Island.

Fraser Island is absolutely brilliant. Spent three days driving round the island, taking on the sand and the waves, walked through the rainforest, visiting the lakes including a teatree lake (?), the Maheno Shipwreck, Indian Head and Eli Creek and we came joint first in the pub quiz.

Visited Maroochydore and Mooloolaba on 25th, taking in Underwater World. We also turned proper Aussie when we watched Aussie Rules Football (it's not real football!), after eating steak and drinking Bundy Rum all in a surf club!

On our way to Brisbane on 26th we stopped at the Glass House Mountains and wished we'd stayed there - Brisbane not much fun.

On the 27th we went to Crikey, Australia Zoo! We watched the croc show, saw the tigers play with their keepers, stroked a koala as well as looking as loads of other animals, the komodo dragon was quite fascinating. Lynsay also fed Bimbo the elephant.

Next stop, Surfer's Paradise where we are now. Again, we spent the day on the beach - the weather here is fantastic - blue sky all day. Today was spent at Wet 'n' Wild, a water park with crazy rides.

That's all for now folks. Next update from somewhere in New South Wales (when we have the time)...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb