Road Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
January 9th 2008
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, Day 7 of the road trip and all is going well. Picked up the hire car in Cairns, a large Toyota Camry auto which is a bit bigger than we expected but very comfortable and easy to drive, once I'd convinced Marion that driving an auto was easy.

First stop was Cairns, not a particularly inspiring place and our Rydges hotel was pretty poor. The following day we drove up into the Atherton Tableland, visited a few small towns and some waterfalls. Lots of agriculture, mainly sugar cane growing, but and interesting diversion from driving down the coast. Very similar to the low lands of Scotland but a bit warmer. We ended up at Mission Beach, staying at Hibiscus Logde. What a fantastic place, our hosts Robert & Adrienne were very accommodating, complimentary drinks with them on the patio then a meal at the Italian restaurant around the corner (Let's be honest, anywhere that offers free beer is going to be a hit).

Next day we set off for Townsville. This was a suitable stopping point but with no particular attraction. We arrived early and decided to go to Magnetic Island for the afternoon. Blisteringly hot, like most days but apart from some specatular scenery nothing much to shout about. Once again we were in a Rydges hotel and came to the conclusion that they were really for the down at heel businessman. (i.e. grim). The nightlife in Townsville was remarkably ok given our low expectation. Found a brewery with a bar attached and had a decent meal next door to the hotel.

Our next stop was Airlie Beach for a 2 night stop. The Whitsunday Moorings B&B was something else. Peter was a lovely chap. The room had views over the bay and breakfast was someting else. It's served outside your room on the terrace and he comes round early, while you are asleep, and lays the table and what a setting. Crisp, starched white linen table cloth and napkins and enough cutlery for a 5 course meal. His attention to detail was something else, flowers on the table etc. We went on a day trip to the Whitsunday Islands the following day. Quite interesting but a bit over rated in my opinion. OK so Whitehaven Beach has fabulous sand but nothing else, but Hamilton Island is an eyesore and Hook Island just a mess which needs knocking down and starting again. A bit like a 1960s Butlins resort. After a second breakfast extraveganza with Peter we set off for Yeppoon.

The drive to Yeppoon was a bit different (Thank you Google for some completely useless maps & routes). We ended up on an unmade roar for many, many miles and completely lost. Marion was getting concerned that we could be lost in the outback forever. Eventually stopped a pick up truck to discover that we were not too far off route. We were due to stay at another Rydges hotel here but after our previous experiences we cancelled and booked a B&B. What a good decision. Yeppoon did not have a great deal going for it but did have a fantastic beach. I ran along the beach this morning early before the heat built up, very refreshing.

Today we drove to Tin Can Bay. We crossed the Tropic of Capricorn, so are no longer in the Tropics. The weather has also changed. Following endless days of blistering heat today it has rained and rained. The Mia Mia B&B is superb. Used the spa in the pouring rain as it's still very warm. Tomorrow we are off early to feed the dolphins then heading inland to Manely, our final stop before Brisbane.

Sorry no pictures this time but will amend that in Brisbane.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb