New Year & Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
January 2nd 2008
Published: January 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year!! Hope you had a good one.

We spent New Years Eve doing the Karunda cable car and railway. We took the cable car for over 7kms above the rainforest, stopping a couple of times to wander through the rainforest, before ending up in Karunda. A bit of a tourist town but where you get the train back down. Not my favourite attraction but I guess if you are an engineer or train enthusiast it would be great.

We had dinner at a local restaurant with a bit of Greek dancing and plate smashing just before midnight when we had fireworks. They were pretty spectacular for a little town, not quite Sydney or London standard but still impressive and better still it was not raining!!!!

Had a leisurely New Years day, took a walk along 4 Mile Beach (just outside our hotel) and then lay by the pool. Makes a change from lying on the settee with a hangover (Steven that is).

Today we took a trip out to the Great Barrier Reef, absolutely amazing. Don't think this was something Steven was looking forward to after his experience in Jamaica. We snorkelled at three different sites and saw incredible coral and beautiful tropical fish. On the 2nd January most people are back to the drudgery of work in the rain and we are on the Great Barrier Reef, this has to be one of the best ways to spend a day.

Tomorrow we head back to Cairns where we pick up a hire car and head off on our nine day journey to Brisbane.



Advertisement



3rd January 2008

Happy New Year
Just wishing you all the best for the new year and hope you are still having a great time. Everything is fine this end. See you in a couple of weeks.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb