Yeppoon - A Tropical Seaside Treasure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Yeppoon
October 10th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After moving on for a number of days it was time to take a break and stay somewhere for more than a night. We packed up and moved a whole 32km towards the coast to a lovely seaside area on the Capricorn Coast. It was much cooler here.



This is an area of growing coastal development. Small old fashioned shacks are giving way to large mansions taking advantage of the stunning views out to sea. It boasts the largest marina in Queensland. (Keppel Bay Marina)



After a seafood lunch at the Waterline we wandered the marina in pursuit of our dream boat. There were plenty from which to choose. Large and ostentatious, modest and functional, sailing, fishing, old or new, they were all there. Unfortunately we did not find the one of our dreams.



A stroll along one of the many beautiful beaches helped us to justify a decadent lunch out. The tiniest of crabs made patterns in the sand. The waves of azure water licking our feet were pleasantly cool, but not enough to entice us in. We walked the length of the beach in total peace and serenity. As we returned 2 bus loads of teenagers barrelled down onto the beach and into the water. They looked to be having great fun. We were glad not to be the supervisors of the hundred or so kids



Next day we drove to Byfield where pine forests, a conservation park and a National Park boasted walking trails, tropical rainforest, stunning views and an opportunity to canoe. Not finding any indication of canoes for hire, we called in at the rather quaint Byfield general store. The aroma of coffee was too tempting so we sat there for a while and enjoyed a cuppa. The store manager explained where to go for the canoes.



Down the road we found the track into Fern’s Hideaway. This was a gorgeous out of the way resort. The doors were locked. The sign said the restaurant was closed Monday to Thursday and office hours were 10 – 4. As it was just before 10 we roamed the grounds a bit. Bush turkeys and wallabies wandered the surroundings. There was no person in sight. Eventually we decided to take one of the walking tracks to the river. One the way we met a young lady who turned out to be one of the guests. She gave us the paddles to a canoe as she was leaving soon and wouldn’t require them anymore. She asked us to return them to the office or leave them where they would be easily found.



So off we went. We found a bunch of canoes at the water’s edge … no PFDs. The lady didn’t have one so we assumed they were not in use. A bit un-nerving but the water was calm and most of the time we could see the sandy bottom through the tannin stained water. As we paddled up stream we negotiated the many fallen trees. It was a stunning place. So tranquil! Goannas frequently came to the water’s edge and bush turkeys rustled in the leaf matter.



As we returned the owner was down checking the canoes … for holes. Apparently it was the whole resort and not just the restaurant which was closed. He didn’t seem to be concerned about our being there, but just asked if we would mind giving a small donation for the use of the canoe. No probs. We stayed and talked with him a while.



He became quite animated when he noticed a pair of rare (Wampoo) pigeons making a nest in the tree above the canoe station. Bird watchers from Melbourne had been at the hideaway recently and had found none of them.



Leaving there we stopped on the esplanade in Yeppoon for our picnic lunch. Another stunning beach, but this one had slightly larger crabs so the patterns too were more predominant.



Towns along the coast seemed to meld into one another. It was hard to know when you were leaving one and entering another. All were beautiful. At Emu Bay the RSL had erected a sculpture as a memorial to the fallen. The ‘Singing Ship’ was a stylised concrete ship incorporating pipes that hummed as the wind passed over them. A bit like the way a pipe organ works. The sound was not particularly strong when we were there but we could imagine at times it could be quite pronounced. Perhaps that is why it was located some distance from the nearest housing.



We finished the day with a meal of delicious threadfin salmon purchased from one of the residents in the Rockhampton Caravan Park. We think there was a bit of wheeling and dealing going on to help pay their way. Together with a NZ sav blanc it made a fitting end to our time by the sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



11th October 2013

Hi Guys, We love your blog, having stumbled across it researching and planning our first real getaway. We\'re reading your updates every night while still in the Sydney grind with jobs and a 15month old bub but hoping to do our first trip next March - your descriptive blog is giving us much inspiration, if not envy!!! Please keep it up Joan & Greg! Kind regards, Megan & Andrew
18th October 2013

Welcome Meg & Drew
You have the honour of being the first to comment who is not family or friends. Blogs are a great way to keep everybody informed while you travel.
11th October 2013

Now that's more like it!
So beautiful...
11th October 2013

Rare birds
Sigh, so lovely. And you saw nesting rare pigeons! I think the other night birds from your inland camp might be thick knees, bit like bush stone curlews (which have a mournful woman's cry).

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb