Day 66


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
June 27th 2010
Published: June 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It would be churlish of us to rant about Back packers hostels really the one were in is cheap but just a bit too cheerful for us. You get what you expect gap year students(when did this gap year thing take off Philip doesn't remember it) wanting to party. The look of horror on Philip face when an amiable young dutch lad invites him on the $30 pub crawl round surfers which includes free shots. When Philip enquires if this includes Tea and coffee he soon goes quiet on the idea.

So we are here till Tuesday so the first problem is to find somewhere to live after that, due to the fact the natwest promise of fed exing the new bank card has failed to materlise so we are on a uber strict fiscal policy and we need decent sleep leading up to the run this was going to be some what of a problem. This was further compounded by the fact next week is school Holidays and there is a large run next Sunday with people traveling from all over for, who knew? So we spend the large part of the day tramping for one place to another to get the same response it's school holidays were full and the Marathon is on next Sunday. Really? Like some modern day naivety play(It's not christmas,were in Australia but it is winter here tenuous I know but go with it) we are told there is no room at the Inn. Finally we stumble on a caravan park on the edge of town. and while we switch off when she response to our question of lodging we suddenly realize she isn't rambling on about school holidays and marathons.

"yes we have a .."

"is it a barn?" I interrupt

"no it's..."

"A stable?" I ask

"No its a one room cabin with kitchenette and shared bathroom would you like..."

"YES YES Will you marry me?"

So we move to the lovely tranquil southport caravan park on Tuesday ten mins to the start line. Philip goes for a nice run then spends the day walking round surfers which is like a cross between Blackpool,Florida and Vegas very tacky but we like it as it reminds Philip of his days in Blackpool. Walking home some drunk aboriginal gentleman even wants to fight him and starts throwing punches for no reason what so ever it really is Blackpool we walk on quickly laughing to ourself. It just like walking throu castle on a Saturday night.

we also get to speak to Bobby and have an excellent chat about mario carts, the seaside and my chances of a podium finish next week errr none bobby there about 10000 runners.

superb




Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb