Christmas in July !


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Stanthorpe
July 29th 2005
Published: March 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cosy!Cosy!Cosy!

Our cottage in Stanthorpe, complete with log fire and whirlpool Spa !
We set off early last Saturday morning from Brisbane, heading South-West towards Stanthorpe. The 3 hour drive is really nice with some mountains and such like providing a pleasant backdrop.

Along the way there are some real country towns like Warwick, where we spotted a rodeo ring! I was later to learn from someone in work that the Warwick rodeo ring is home to the biggest rodeo in Queensland every September…….I’m SO there!

Stanthorpe itself is a one street town surrounded by miles of farms & vineyards. The locals are a mix of homegrown hicks, and semi-retired city folk trying to ‘get away from it all’. As it turned out our accommodation was with the later.

Accommodation: Granite Garden Cottage, highly recommended but pricey!

Granite Gardens
When we arrived the owners couldn’t have been more helpful. The log fire in the cottage had been lit and was warming the place nicely. It even had a double spa bath which was great. Very modern inside, but still snug and cosy.

On the Saturday night we went to a Winter Feast! One of the places near Stanthorpe does this Xmas dinner from June to August. It gets cold in
StartersStartersStarters

Pumpkin soup at the Winter Feast!
Stanthorpe in winter (towards freezing at night), so the Xmas dinner seemed liked a good idea. For $45 each we got a superb feed, all you can eat buffet with turkey, ham, pork, lamb, beef, veg, potatoes, etc, and loads of desserts. There was some punter playing Xmas songs on a guitar which added to the atmosphere, and also a visit from Santa……seemingly I was very good this year & got a present…..winner !
Plenty of free mulled wine was on offer also.

When we eventually re-surfaced on Sunday we headed for Rumbalara winery. The owners were really helpful and friendly so defiantly recommended. Being the connoisseur that I am I was well able to judge the offerings, pin-pointing a fantasatic pineapple nose on one, and a flutter of elderberries with a hint of strawberry from one.
It was something of a marathon as they recommend you taste every wine on their menu. Feeling more than a little tipsy we purchased 3 bottles and made a short drive to a chocolate making joint to sober up. Stuffed our faces at Whisteria chocolates which helped to settle me down again for a bit more driving.

Drove across the state border
Winter FeastWinter FeastWinter Feast

All set for the task of clearing out the buffet!
into New South Wales, but it all looked the same to me so we headed back to Stanthorpe for dinner. Steak & chips in O’Maras Hotel which I estimate has not been redecorated since the 1930’s! Charming place with cheap steaks & some dodgy looking locals…….good laugh.

Monday & checkout arrived, and it was off in the Silver Bullet to check out a Lavender Farm (Ruth’s idea….honest !) on the way back to Brissie. My ‘shortcut’ turned out to be a bit of an adventure down dusty tracks and through crocodile infested creeks but the car took it all in it’s stride despite a few close calls.

Overall, Stanthorpe gets the thumbs up.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Santa!Santa!
Santa!

It wouldn't be Christmas without the big fella....
HurrayHurray
Hurray

And he came bearing gifts !
O'Mara'sO'Mara's
O'Mara's

Join the locals for a hearty feed.


6th March 2006

hey I'm Aussie!!!
Hey! My name is Sasha and I am on exchange from Stanthorpe in Australia and I was looking for photos of O'mara's pub (don't ask) and came across yours then across your happy valley photos and the crazy thing is that I worked there and I think -but I don't remember- that I possibly even served you! That bloke in the santa getup is my boss Chris Pascoe and this is so random but just wanted towrite and way your blog is great thanks for the omara's photo and hope you liked stanthorpe!

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb