There be Whales in them there waters....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
August 1st 2005
Published: August 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

HeadlandHeadlandHeadland

Most Easterly point in Australia you know...
Just back from a great 2 day trip to Byron Bay. We set off early on Saturday morning from Brisvegas and arrived in Byron in less that 2 hours which was a bit quicker than I thought.

It was straight up to the top of the hill at the end of the town to the famous lighthouse. The lighthouse is located on a headland that juts out from the cost to make it the most Easterly point in Australia.

Such a location called for a picture surely………which is when Ruth realised that although she had brought the camera, she had forgotten the memory card!!!
Therefore the pictures here are ones that I have 'borrowed' from fellow travellers !
From the lofty position of the headland we spotted humpback whales out to sea, and also a group or dolphins cruising by at the foot of the cliffs……!
Whale's TailWhale's TailWhale's Tail

What we saw but had no camera to capture!
data-original='//photos.travelblog.net/1326/9265/t/36723-most-easterly-point-on-mainland-australia-0.jpg' class='lazy photo-view' title='Most Easterly point on Mainland Australia' alt='Most Easterly point on Mainland Australia' style='width:300px;height:225px;' id='img-36723'>Most Easterly point on Mainland Australia

Most Easterly point on Mainland Australia




A short drive back into town and we checked into our hostel.
Accomodation: Holiday Village Hostel. Great location and the double room we had was just the job.

Next it was down to the beach for a few hours to pass the afternoon. I tested the water but it was feckin' cold…….it is winter here after all !
Defo gonna come down again in September for surfing lessons when the water has warmed up a bit.


That night produced one of the most glorious moments of my life:
Myself & Ruth went for drinks across the road from the hostel in a bar called Cheeky Monkeys. There was some muppet with crazy hair doing competitions etc., and first up was an auction for a Jug of beer.
Normally they cost at least
Whale or Submarine?Whale or Submarine?Whale or Submarine?

You decide
$10, but he was flogging them off cheapo with a catch. You had to be first up on stage with, for example, "1 $2 coin, 1 $1 coin, 2 50c coins, 3 10c coins"………success for Osman as he stormed the stage knocking over 2 petite Austrian backpackers on the way.
Next up was a Heads/Tails game. Everyone had to stand up on their tables and either put their hands on their heads, or on their arse to choose heads or tails. Muppet Man then flipped a coin and all the losers were eliminated. I went for the classic Head - Head - Tail combo to secure a place in the final 3.
The tension was incredible as my opponents chose Tails & I opted for Heads……..there was a drum roll (in my head anyway) as the coin sailed through the air in slow motion……Heads I Win !
The place went bonkers (again…..in my head anyway) and I lifted the spoils to my mouth to taste the sweet Tooheys Beer.
"Bloody Beautiful Mate".

Sunday morning was something of a write off as we sat in the sun with a huge greasy fry for breakfast/lunch.

A bit of sunning ourselves
Flying without WingsFlying without WingsFlying without Wings

To hell with Gravity
& football on the beach managed to stir us into life before we headed out to sea on a Whale Watching boat trip. We were out at sea for about 2.5 hours scanning the horizon for signs of the beasties and then chasing around after them like maniacsin our little boat. It was well worth the effort as we saw 3/4 whales, and got really close to one. Was amazing to see them splashing around with their huge tails and fins. Could hear them breathing as well which was cool.

Byron was definatly a big favourite......forget about high-rise Surfer's Paradise, this is the best beach town to hang out in for a while if you are travelling the coast between Brisbane & Sydney.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb