Magnetic Island Day 23


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
July 26th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We caught the Sun Ferry from Townsville to Magnetic Island arriving at Nelly Bay which is a new boat harbour. There are new apartments everywhere - all very expensive and not selling. We rented a Moke from Topless Rentals and tootled off to walk the track to the Forts - WW2 gun emplacements. We found a koala in the trees beside the track. The walk took for ever and we were glad to get back to the Moke and go down to Horseshoe Bay for lunch. The day was overcast and breezy but ideal for walking. After lunch we drove to the other end of the island to Picnic Bay which was like a ghost town. The old wharf was in disrepair and since the ferries now use the new facility this part of the island has gone down the gurgler - so sad. We returned to the mainland and did a trip up Castle Rock. There were hundreds of people walking up the road to the top which is a good testament for healthy Townsville residents. Tomorrow we are leaving for Port Douglas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Nelly BayNelly Bay
Nelly Bay

New Apartments on the Boat Harbour.
On our wayOn our way
On our way

This was at the end of the first part of the walk.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb