Trip to Port Douglas Day 24


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
July 27th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On our way to Port DouglasOn our way to Port DouglasOn our way to Port Douglas

Shocking weather!!!
We awoke early so packed up and got on the road at 8.30 am. We said goodbye to Peter, Ian and Christine who were flying back to Canberra. Doreen was still in Townsville and they were unsure when she would be able to be flown back to Canberra for her funeral. They all just wanted to go home. As we left the weather was overcast and began to rain heavily as we started going north. The road was dreadful - slow caravans and trucks with big potholes everywhere. The road was collapsing for most of the trip due to inadequate maintenance and funding. It was an extremely dangerous road, and at one point a Road Train was going so fast that it threw up so much water that we were engulfed in a wave of water and couldn’t see a thing!! Everything was very green due to the months of rain. We pulled over into a driver reviver at Innesfail to see four young people had set up camp at the rest area to get out of the rain. We struggled on and were finally glad to get to Port Douglas where the sun was shining. This was the worst days driving in the entire trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rest Area, chaos and confusion!!Rest Area, chaos and confusion!!
Rest Area, chaos and confusion!!

Everyone decided to turn up at this Rest Area at the same time. Buses, Caravans,Cyclists etc.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb