Townsville Waterfront Day 22


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
July 25th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arose later after a good rest and had breakfast. The weather was overcast but not raining so we decided to walk down the Strand along the Esplanade to the Marina. This is where the Ferry Terminal for Magnetic Island is located. Sandy developed blisters on her toes and a kind man who was the car park attendant obtained some plasters to ease the pain so that we could walk back.
What a magnificent waterfront, so much money has been spent here for the benefit of the people of Townsville. We had a little trouble finding our way back to the Resort, in other words we got lost. We do this regularly on our holidays. On return to our Resort we discovered that our door was open. I went down to reception to ask why and when I came back Sandy told me that the lady in the room next door had passed away the night before. We were very shocked and took the husband (Peter) under our wing until his son and daughter-in-law arrived from Melbourne. They had to fly up to Cairns and then down to Townsville. We had met Peter and Doreen the day before when we arrived at the Resort. They were a lively couple and Doreen really sparkled when she talked to us. There was a beautiful wedding in progress when we arrived at the Resort. We learned from Peter that they had attended the wedding and then gone out for a lovely dinner. At dinner Doreen had chatted to the waitress and when learning that the waitress was going to the races the next day, Doreen gave her some money to bet on the horses. It turned out that the waitress won some money but never got to tell Doreen the good news. I have noticed in our travels over the years that we have had some wonderful people touch our lives and Peter and Doreen were some of those people. When we tried to cook dinner that night we managed to set off the smoke alarm due to a faulty frying pan thermostat. Tomorrow we plan to go to Magnetic Island if the weather holds.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

WowWow
Wow

I don't know if I would want to be up on this hill in a Cyclone.
Old HouseOld House
Old House

Graham remembers houses like this in Townsville 40 years ago when he lived and worked there.


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb