Trip to Townsville Day 21


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
July 24th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arose early to go up to the Porcupine Gorge and view the Canyon before continuing down the Overlanders way to Townsville. The road up to the Canyon was good with only a small part that was unsealed. It was on this road that we had our first encounter with a Kangaroo running across the front of the car. The Kangaroo had its baby with it as well. We were very lucky because at that point we were driving very slowly and were able to avoid them both. The trip to Townsville was along good roads via Prairie, Torrens Creek, and Portland (Gateway to the Rurra Burra Range). We saw many dead ‘roos’ along the roadside with birds feasting on the carcases. There were many beasts in the field alongside the road and we also saw many hay bales ready for collection. We stopped at Roadhouses to fill up with gas and buy food. On the way into Charters Towers we came across the local Rodeo, there were people and Ute’s everywhere. Rodeos are very popular in these country towns. I have to say as we have travelled through rural Queensland the Roadhouses have become rougher and the toilets etc crummier. The drive to Townsville was pleasant with all the greenery of the tropics and it was lovely and warm. We have now left the Outback and we are now in Tropical Queensland. We found our accommodation at the Seagulls Resort and enjoyed a good shower before going to the supermarket to buy some victuals.
Graham’s driving through Townsville was excellent as the Seagulls Resort is not easy to find.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Porcupine GorgePorcupine Gorge
Porcupine Gorge

They say this is a mini Grand Canyon. It was amazing.
Lots of  white Brahmin cattleLots of  white Brahmin cattle
Lots of white Brahmin cattle

We had to drive very carefully on this road as the cattle would just wander out in front of us.
Road KillRoad Kill
Road Kill

I must say that the road kill really upst me hence only one photo was taken.
Road TrainRoad Train
Road Train

You had to be careful passing Road Trains carrying livestock as they just go to the toilet all over you car - no holding tanks here!!
Driving along the Esplanade in TownsvilleDriving along the Esplanade in Townsville
Driving along the Esplanade in Townsville

The Esplanade is amazing and so very beautiful. A wonderful family environment.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb