Magnetic Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
April 24th 2007
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KoalaKoalaKoala

Apparently when they turn brown it means they are sick.
Woke up to discover that the entire room was empty and that everyone had moved on.

Went and got myself something (milkshake) for breakfast.

Today I was going to head off and do one of the island walks. Id been told by this Canadian guy yesturday that the walk up to the Forts was worth doing. Apparently you can get great views of the island, esspecially today since the weather was perfect.

After getting some supplies, water mainly, I headed off late morning to try and get to the forts before the midday sun started to pound.
The walk wasnt hard but it wasnt easy either as despite being only 10:30 when I strated the temperature must have already been in the high 20s. It was a nice walk anyway through the bush up to the top of the hill.
The Forts and gun inplacments were constructed during the second world war to protect allied shipping based in Townsville. In fact a whole little HQ with inc medical centre and kitchens (mainly sheds) were located at the top of this hill.
After an hour i reached the outskirts of the base. The whole area is also inhabited by (very sleepy) koalas which I was able to get rather close to for photos.
The view at the top was very impressive esspecially that of Radical Bay.
After climbing into the bunkers and checking out the views from inside and on top I headed back.

Got back just in time for a late lunch. I had been told that the bistro at the hostel did a fine island burger (similar to a fergberger in New Zealand but not as good.) This mainly consisted of beef burger, Beetroot, pineapple and bbq sauce.

Afterwards I headed down to the beach and read a music magazine. Would have gone for a swim but the water looked a little scumy (brown layer floating on top). Also watched a wedding taking place just off the beach.

Headed back and bumped into Zoe and Sophie (from Byron Bay) as they were getting off the bus. We would also end up being dorm mates again.

Went and did a few lengths in the hostel pool.

Went and had dinner with them and a few guys who'd turned up today as well.

It was another quiet night on maggie island so myself and a couple of the guys went to the sports bar where they were showing acouple of movies (X men followed by the Crow - which I hadnt seen in 10 years). Sat and watched these with a couple of jugs of beer and some free pop corn.

Went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

PosumPosum
Posum

Forgot to mention I saw this little critter outside the hostel kitchen


1st May 2007

Tim is enjoying the concrete bunker erections. Infact he is getting...etc etc

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb