Aussie Adventure - Part III - Lady Musgrave Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Lady Musgrave Island
October 6th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Aussie Adventure Part III - Lady Musgrave Island - Southern tip of the Great Barrier Reef

Up early and on board the catamaran Spirit of 1770, in the town of 1770 by 7 am. It was a 2 hour trip out to the island on a big beautiful boat. When I checked in I noticed they were selling motion sickness tablets to many of the guests. Since the boys had had a problem with motion sickness on their fishing trip, I shared a package with another passenger. As a precaution I took one myself (It didn't work for me, but it did for the boys). The ride was gorgeous. We sat on the top deck and the kids made friends with a family from Wales. It was sunny and warm but a bit rough. Lots of people did get motion sick (about 40%)- good thing they adaquately prepare you for this😊 I won't go into the gory details.
We were happy to finally reach Lady Musgrave Island where we docked with a large pontoon boat. There were many options for the afternoon and while we had a quick morning tea, the crew briefed us as to how to plan our day. There were wetsuits to rent and snorkeling gear for everyone who wanted it, there were several boat trips to the island with tours of the island, a fishing trip, an underwater viewing area, and tours in the semi-submersible boat. Our family was anxious to get out in the water. I was the whimp and wore a shorty. Everyone else seemed warm enough in their swim suits. The snorkeling was amazing. We saw beautifully colorful coral reefs, loads of fish, sea turtles (luckily, no sharks or other known dangerous fish). It was comforting to know that the Spirit of 1770 crew had a person sitting high up on a seat watching out for anything dangerous that might enter into the snorkeling area.
As you can see from the pictures, we did it all - all except the fishing excursion. We also bought an underwater camera that we realized wasn't necessary. The photos from that camera are still waiting to be developed. The viewing area and the trip around the reef in the semi-submersible were amazing. The colors were gorgeous and the variety of fish, turtles, coral, eels, etc... incredible.
Although Avery had a great time snorkeling, I think he enjoyed showing off in front of the viewing window most. Gregg took Sydney and Graham out for a successful turtle hunt. I enjoyed it all - snokeling, watching the kids play, the tour of the beautiful island. In fact, you can camp on the island - Fun idea for the next trip! And there are no poisonous snakes, repitiles, or spiders on the island!
Lunch and afternoon tea was served on the boat and the day was over before we knew it. The ride back to 1770 was MUCH smoother and more enjoyable. The boys watched "Finding Nemo", I slept and Gregg and Syd sat up on the bow chatting with some girls from Holland and enjoying the views. It was an amazing day and made the drive up to Agnus Water and 1770 so worth it!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Sea TurtleSea Turtle
Sea Turtle

Taken from Semi-Submersible
On Lady Musgrave IslandOn Lady Musgrave Island
On Lady Musgrave Island

Gregg and the kids
Sydney and Avery enjoy their fresh spongesSydney and Avery enjoy their fresh sponges
Sydney and Avery enjoy their fresh sponges

Too bad they have to stay on the island:(
Fish!Fish!
Fish!

As viewed from the semi-submersible


21st October 2008

Hey Shivers Family
Hey graham its lauren. Man you are so lucky it is summer there its freezing over here, it has already gotten below 30 degrees. Well i hope you had a fun time at Lady Musgrave Island. I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading about how everything went. Talk to you soon. Lauren

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb