Fraser Adventure!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
March 17th 2006
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

lake Mackenzielake Mackenzielake Mackenzie

just look at those colours!
5am doesnt really exist does it? well apparently yes. up bright and early with a spring in my step (thats pushing it a little but i was conscious at least) erm ended up in charge again...must be really annoying the group by now! Since im not driving on the trip i didnt need to go to the 'how to drive a 4wd' briefing so stayed to pack the Toyota land cruiser high top that will be home for 3 days...has to be packed correctly so it balances and so everything fits. I hate being bossy but im just too good at it. Me and Paul made an ace team and packed the van perfectly despite everyone wanting things from there bags once we'd packed em! cheers guys! but we got througha dn managed to get everything and everyone on board and off we went to the Ferry.
First Stop; central station. Louise was having a great time driving the beast and we made it down the deep sand tracks in one piece. I gentle stroll through the rain forest was not cooling because its so humid here but it was very pretty! nice trees!
Next was Lake MacKenzie, a turquoise blue fresh water lake with snow white sand and cool clear waters. total paradise though a little crowded. Good swimming, if you can swim across it theres a little island. I however cant swim that far. Merrily swimming out and realised the rest weresnt about to turn back, so id reached the point where i knew if i went any further i wouldnt make it back and it was less than half way so i gave upa dn swam back. lying half dead in the sand! Sara swam back to check I was still alive and then we all mustered our energy to play volley ball. Hermina was rather friendly with Lars, Sara is loving the potential match making!
Next the road took us up to a lookout over Lake Wabby, a fresh water lake which is slowly being engulfed by a huge sandblow. the lookout was huge so we managed some awesome group photos.
Next we headed to the eastern beach. '75mile beach' actually. which is the main highway! Up the coast we cruised under Louises careful driving to the wreck of the Maheno, blown ashore by a tropical Cyclone in 1935, left to rot and rust the ship is
Driving the main Highway!Driving the main Highway!Driving the main Highway!

Louise taking ever such good care of us!
now an eerie iron skeleton half submerged in the sand. At low tide it looks like a shipwreck in a desert because she just sits in the sand!! North we continued, to Indian Head. We had time for a scramble up to the lookout to try out luck at shark spotting, but the waters were too choppy for them. They breed here. So we decided to call it a day and head for camp which for the night was Koorooman, just off the beach. Sara, Hermina and Myself shared a tent but given her flirting all dasy with not only Lars but Tommy too, its anyones guess where she'll sleep.
Between us Sara Louise and I drank large amounts of goon which brought on strange musicalness! bad renditions of any song that mentioned moonlight and any old love song as we serenaded Lars and Hermina!! Such a great day. can only hope tomorrow brings such fun and frollicks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

the loving moonlit couplethe loving moonlit couple
the loving moonlit couple

gawd we sang some random songs that night!


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb