The Big Sand Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
February 27th 2006
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After flying back to Brisbane from Christchurch, NZ, we moved on up the east coast to Hervey bay. This is the set off point for most of the Fraser island tours. We ended up in a really nice backpackers (Woolshed) that had a DVD player! We booked a 2 day 1 night tour on Fraser Island.

Fraser Island is quite special as its the biggest sand island in the world and has lots of trees on it. We took a walk through the forests and walked along the huge beach. It's not safe to swim off the island there are too many sharks apparently. However there is a little area called Champagne Pools which are large rock pools that are big enough to swim in. We took the option to do a little flight around the island. This was really good as you can see the sand dunes and lakes from the air (see piccies). Fraser Island is also well known for its Dingos. We had the fortune of seeing one around the resort we stayed at.
The highlight of Fraser is Lake Mackenzie. This is a large fresh water lake with white (almost pure) silica sand and nothing grows in it so it remains crystal blue clear. This place was just gorgeous and we spent far too long in the water as we got a bit sun-burnt. Another lake we visited was lake Wabby which you have to hike over the dunes for over half an hour but this lake has stuff living in it so it wasnt that clear. But Jason swam in it anyway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Maheno ShipwreckThe Maheno Shipwreck
The Maheno Shipwreck

This is a wreck thoght to have been deliberately put here by the Japanese before WWII. Its just an old cruise liner thats gradually breaking up and eroding away.
Road to HanmerRoad to Hanmer
Road to Hanmer

Whoops! THis one is from NZ that I just found but it's really lovely I thought i'd put in here anyway.
DingoDingo
Dingo

This fella was hanging around behind the bar.
Lake Mackenzie beachLake Mackenzie beach
Lake Mackenzie beach

I know this photo would lok better with some bikini clad blonde but i'm afaid i'll have to do.


21st March 2006

I love your pictures
Your blog is great and I hope you are having a great time. The pictures are great and it brings it all back being there .

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb