Flying over the Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After Fraser Island we thought it would be a good idea to save time and money by taking an overnight coach up to Airlie beach, our next stop. This was a nightmare. The coach didn't leave until midnight but we killed time at the local cinema and saw some awful film called big momas house II but we also saw 'Walk the Line' which pretty good. We didn't arrive until 3pm the next day as the coach driver went on some detour.
But we made it and checked into a backpackers just outside of town as we had heard that Airlie beach is a bit of a mad party place. The walk into town was actually quite pleasant with loads of wild cockatoos around. The town itself isn't much but we stayed here to see the Whitsunday Islands. The best way of doing this is by air. So we splashed out and did a flight out to the Great Barrier Reef with a stop at Whitehaven beach (which is in the top 10 list of beaches in the world). Flying over the reef was amazing and definitely one of the best things you can do in Oz. The Whitsundays are great as well. We tried a bit of snorkeling but it was a bit choppy and we didn't get to see that much. But we did see a turtle on the reef from the air. Whitehaven beach was lovely a lot like Lake Mackenzie beach really but we didn't have much time here and you have to be careful as its stinger season out here at the moment. We wore stinger suits but if your swimming forward into a stinger these suits dont really help.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb