Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
March 8th 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our next trip on the east coast was Fraser Island which turned out to be probably our best experience so far. We had heard so much about Fraser, both good and bad, and were really looking forward to the trip. Fraser Island is a huge sand island off the east coast. Our trip was not guided which basically means you are put with a group of 9 people and sent off in a huge 4 wheel drive truck to explore the island and camp there for 2 nights. We met up with Mike and Tasha (friends from home) who joined us on the trip and the rest of our group were brilliant. The camping was real camping, there were no facilities, not even toilets where we camped and if you needed a number 2 you had to take a shovel and dig a hole on the beach for your toilet! And also had to watch out for dingoes (wild dogs) at the same time! Our first day we arrived on the island in the afternoon and visited Lake Wabi which was a lake situated right next to some huge sand dunes which was quite spectacular, then it was off to set up camp. The first night there was like a huge party with all the other groups camping nearby joining our group and playing drinking games until the early hours which was pretty messy! The next day we drove round visiting the sites, including a ship wreck, a beautiful creek, a lookout point and the Champagne Pools which were rock pools protected from the ocean but every now and then a wave would wash over into the pool. The second night was much like the first night with more drinking games including one that lead to James attempting a caterpillar and falling face first into the sand! (and losing the camera in the sand at the same time - which we did find buried the next morning!). The last day we visited Lake Mackenzie which is the most beautiful lake we’ve seen. The water was so clear and clean, we didn’t want to leave. Then the trip was over and it was back over to the main land for another night in Hervey Bay. It was the best trip so far and we made some brilliant friends and took away some great memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb