Hervay Bay - Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
April 11th 2007
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got up early, showered and packed the stuff id need for Fraser island.

Joined my group then got the run down on how to drive the 4x4 then a walk round to do a sort of inventory.

After a while we got going (before the other two teams - Israel and France/Italy who were driving bright pink 4x4s)

We went to the supermarket and picked up our supplies before taking a long drive to pick up the ferry to Fraser Island.

We took the one hour journey across and saw a dolphine on the way (at long distance though.)

We got to Fraser island, stuck the Land Cruiser into 4x4 mode and we were on our way (With Simon driving.)

Fraser island is a giant sand island (very powdery and gets everywhere.) and is also very lush and green.

Unfortunaly for the first leg to the other side of the island (the only part you are aloud to drive on since the Western side is a National park.) I was sat in the back next to all the equipment (stacked really high.) With all the bumps it wasnt long before parts of the pile of supplies started caving in on me. In fact I manged to get a whole 4 litre box of goon (wine made from everything other then grapes - I like to call "I cant belive its not wine") fall on my groin which brought tears to my eyes. Now when I talk Im a semi-tone higher.

We finally reached the long stretch of beach (with all the 4x4s traveling on it resembles more a motor way.) and parked to take some photos.

The beach is incredibly beautifull (apart from all the jelly fish washed up on the sand.) but unfortunatly you cant swim in the sea due to large numbers of box jelly fish, Fire weed (poison coral) and the fact that this area is a breeding site for tiger sharks. I crossed over closer to the sea to take some photos, looked left and right to make sure no 4x4s were coming. While crossing I looked left again and to my horror a prop plane was coming into land. I wasnt that far from the wing as it zoomed past.

After some photos we were on our way to lake wabbi. this also required a 2km walk. At this point (noon) Stephan was already drunk from large quantities of goon.

At the lake we had a nice swim (the sun was out in force at this point), apart from the Irish guys got totaly sun burnt.

After getting back to the 4x4 we had to find our camp site (some random stretch of beach.) Once there we pitched up our tents and cracked open the goon. Unfortunatly for most of this time and our duration here we were continuously herased by a pack of dingos. But after a while team Israel arrived and pitched up around the corner so the dingos went and bothered them.

Polly, Becky and Simone cooked up spagetti Bolognes which was so god damn tasty I had three helpings (My buddy Mike T back home would be proud of me.)

We watched the sun set then admired the stars (amazingly beautiful) when they came out.

Now drunk Myself, Olly, Codey amd Stephan (cant remember where Evan went at this point.) started wondering down the beach (team straight as someone coined up) . This was to find amother group (most of the other groups we passed on the way seemed to be 70% girls.)

While wondering down the beach we wittnessed the mosy incredible site. It was the most amazing shooting star EVER. It was so big and long (bright red) you could make out debris falling off the back of it. Olly quite accuratly described it as being like a firework.

Without having found anybody we headed back. I went to bed while Stephan, Codey and Olly desided to declare war on the Israelis by throwing a hugh dead jelly fish (found on the beach) on to the bonet of their 4x4 terrifing the girls sleeping inside (due to being scared of the dingos.)

They retaliated by emptying their trash around our camp site (I unfortunatly wasnt aware of any of this.) but guys managed to clear this up before it attracted the dingos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb