Eliot Falls to Punsand Bay & the Tip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Left Eliot Falls via the OTT (North end) and did 2 creek crossings before heading back to the Bypass Road. A few cars let us go past them, as we took a drive and checked out the creeks before heading off. Got to the ferry at the Jardine River and there were lots of the Endeavour Rally cars waiting to go through the check point. Some had already crossed the river, and the rest were still coming. It is a very short ferry ride for $99, but includes all your bush camping and access fees.

Didn’t take long to drive from the ferry to Bamaga. Had a look at Loyalty Beach, but no pool for the kids and you can’t swim at the beach. Seisia was dry and right next to the industrial estate and wharf. Got some supplies at Bamaga Supermarket and headed out to Punsand Bay. Stopped at Cape York Souvenir Store on way. It is a big tent with a shipping container next to it along the road to the Tip. Kate got a necklace, Rod a shirt, Alex a mug and a magnet for myself. Booked for 2 nights in the unpowered section, and got a beachfront site. Just a few steps to the sand and beautiful views. Nice to just sit and watch. Haven’t seen any crocodiles as yet - rather disappointing. Punsand Bay has a pool, only an aboveground one about 1m deep, but better then nothing in the warm weather.

Left early and were the first and only ones at the Tip this morning until about 9am. The resort that we visited for lunch 11 years ago is now in ruins. Something about it being handed back to the Traditional Owners and a disagreement between them and the Manager at the time. From the car park, we walked through the rainforest along the board walk to the rocks you need to climb to walk out to the very end, i.e. “The Tip” or Northern Most Point of Australia. It would be about a kilometre, so we felt that we at least got some exercise. Just after we got there and trying to take photos, the rain came. Temperature still pretty warm at 26 degrees or so, but the wind blew the rain so hard, we became drenched. We all but managed to dry off on the walk back to the car.

Drove along to Jardine’s well & Somerset Ruins - the original homestead of the explorers of the region. Back to camp to do schoolwork, journals, travelblogs & probably start headed south tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our rock pile at the TipOur rock pile at the Tip
Our rock pile at the Tip

They were very busy


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb