Ocean Side in Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
May 27th 2014
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -16.9254, 145.775

We were on the move early again this morning leaving our hotel in time to catch a 4:30 a.m. train to the airport. Everything went smoothly and we arrived in Cairns and checked in to our hotel.
We were greeted with cloudy skies but warm and humid temperatures. We can't complain since we have had beautiful weather for our entire trip so far. If the sun had been out it would have made walking around a little uncomfortable.
Our first stop was a grocery store to pick up some lunch items to have a picnic lunch at the waterfront. We walked to a park by the Swimming Lagoon where there were many picnic tables and benches. Along the the Esplanade there are also several barbecue grills for public use. The swimming lagoon is a huge swimming pool since the water at this spot cannot be used for swimming. This pool is different because along one side of it is a sand beach leading into the water which is unusual for an in ground pool. After having our lunch and enjoying our surroundings we walked the Esplanade which runs probably a mile and a half or more.
This is not
Cairns LagoonCairns LagoonCairns Lagoon

Swimming pool
a large busy city like the other locations we have been. It is more of a resort town with many hotels, restaurants and shops lining the Esplanade and surrounding streets. It's a more relaxed atmosphere here than the big cities we have come from.
After a brief rest we went out for dinner which was very good. Our choices were linguine with bacon in cream sauce and risotto in cream sauce with chicken and asparagas. Dessert was raspberry cheesecake and caramel cheesecake served with ice cream. Both were delicious! After that meal we needed to walk for a while so we joined the visitors on the streets. We went to a night market where there were several merchants selling jewelry, clothes, boots and slippers, soaps, honey, artwork and food. One whole section of the building was devoted to massages. Some were head and neck, legs and feet, or whole body. There was a whole row of massage tables or chairs separated in some cases by curtains for customer use, and they were almost all full. There was a whole row of ladies seated in one location soaking their feet in tubs. Nothing we would see at home! We made our way back to our hotel to rest up for another busy day tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



27th May 2014

Looks inviting! Weather is very similar to what we have today back home.

Tot: 0.381s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb