Wildlife in Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 26th 2014
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -27.4676, 153.028

Roma Street Parkland was our first destination of the day. It was originally the meeting place for several indigenous groups. From 1884 to 1964 it was used for Brisbane Markets to buy fresh produce and live animals. It became Roma Street Parkland in 2001. Today it is divided into precincts which focus on wetlands, a subtropical rainforest, and the arid interior. Since it was quite early we spotted a few runners and several gardeners who were in the process of replanting flowers in the beds and trimming the shrubbery. Like everywhere else we have been the park was spotless and very well maintained.

We breakfasted at an open air cafe after leaving the park. It was quite enjoyable after the early morning walk and the hot chocolate and tea hit the spot, not to mention the ham, eggs, tomato and toast.

This being our last day in Brisbane, and having done all that we planned, we decided to visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. We hopped on a bus and headed out of the city. We attended some presentations on koalas, wildlife in general, snakes, and birds of prey. We walked the paths of the sanctuary stopping to view kookaburras, cockatoos, parrots , wombats, Tasmanian devils, , crocodiles, and dingoes. The two highlights of the visit were observing all the koalas and walking among the kangaroos. Visitors go right into the fields and wander among and feed the kangaroos. We decided at this point, since sun set comes around 5 o,clock here, that we should catch our bus and return back to the city.
Our bus stopped at Queen Street Mall where we had dinner and sat to do some people watching. It's always so interesting to view the crowds leaving work and head for home. After a while of watching we joined them and left for our hotel.It was a great final day in Brisbane!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



26th May 2014

These are awesome pics. Think the girls would love the ones with you guys and the kangaroos!
26th May 2014

What a great day! Nice animal photos from the sanctuary. Glad to see the classic "went to Australia and took a picture with a kangaroo".
26th May 2014

That is so cute. The kangaroo looks so comfortable with you, A. Linda.

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb